1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ric pickups and an active pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rupture, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Anyone done this ? Pro's and con's

2. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I installed an Aguilar obp-3 and it sounded great. Fit was very tight with the 9v battery. Not sure what it did to the sound, I was replacing the pickups at the time, the originals as well as the tone/volume controls were in rough shape. I used the Seymour Duncan direct replacements, but they were slightly different so it was a bit of work to get them to fit.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Go over to either the factory forum at Rickenbacker.com or the enthusiasts's forum rickresource.com and you will find several that have integrated Rick pickups with a preamp, especially Cassius987.

4. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

i use a 4001 and sadowsky pre pedal it's awesome! the pedal has a tuner out and a mute to the whole rig. even a nice xlr out to the house which gets muted too when you hit mute, but the tuner jack stays hot

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The Audere 4 band works quite nicely on a Rick.

7. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Supporting Member

I too have used an Audere pre. It was a 4-band installed it in a 4004 converted to a 5-string. It worked well with the stock HB1 pickups.

8. line6man

line6man

Pros: Low output impedance to reduce low-pass filter effect of cables. Constant input impedance on pickups, so that variations in amp/effects input impedances do not change the tone. Onboard EQ and/or volume boost, if you choose a preamp with either of these features.

Cons: Change in tone, if the preamp is voiced to color the signal. The need to use batteries. (Though current draw is extremely low, and one battery will allow for hundreds to thousands of hours of use.) Potential decrease in headroom and increased noise floor, depending on the preamp. (Usually not an issue with high quality components.) Ruined resale value.

That's it.

9. 12bass

12bass

Some years ago I considered installing an EMG BTC in my Rickenbacker 4001. After some years of critical listening, I found that I didn't like what onboard electronics did for the sound of many of my other basses. I never did install a preamp in the Ric and will probably leave it passive.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes ... I have done it ... more than once ...

Really not needed on a 4003 ...

Works great on a 4004 ... and a 2020 and a 2030 ...

11. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Did the same thing, EMG BTC into a 4001 (for the record, NOT the worst thing I ever did to a Rick), and found that the BTC just added more of what was already there, that is, the stock Ruckenbacker tone, just louder. Didn't really add any magic to the bass, and retuned the bass to stock a week later.
    Ruckenbacker basses are unique in almost every aspect, and don't always 'adapt' to sounding or performing like other instruments...part of what makes them both special and very polarizing.