Ric pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick303, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Nick303

Nick303

Can someone explain Rickenbacker bass pickups to me? I love the way Rickenbackers look but the pickups are hideous! Is there a reason for the huge plate and enormous horseshoe cover?
    [​IMG]

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There used to be, but not anymore. You can take the cover right off.

EDIT: You can take the cover off on newer models. I hate pickup covers, so it was the first thing I did when I got mine.

3. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

4. DogBone

DogBone

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The pic you display is of the older "horseshoe" type in the bridge position. The newer ones are:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Do some research and get back to us once you have learned the history and the differences between various Rickenbacker pickups, please. :cool:

There is a lot more going on with those horseshoe pickups besides just looks. ;)

8. Nick303

Nick303

I was hoping to get some information from those in the know, care to share?

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

We've got a whole sub forum dedicated to Pickups & Electronics where you'll find a lot of information.

10. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

You can safely remove the cover on this style of bridge pick-up. As mentioned, it's just a chromed piece of plastic. Just be careful when you disassemble the pick-up assembly to take it off. It's not complicated, but it's not as straight forward as it looks at first glance. The lead wires to the pick-up are very delicate...

[​IMG]

Unless something has changed radically in the design of the "horse-shoe" pick-ups, removing the 2 "prongs" will destroy the pick-up!!! Those "prongs" are actually magnets & are part of the pick-up itself. You can identify the "horse-shoe" pick-up by the split in the center of what looks like a cover. It will not be flat across. The magnets are mounted 1 on the left, 1 on the right & are usually angled upward slightly in the center...

[​IMG]

My 4001 originally had this style of pick-up, but was changed to the newer type about 1985. Couldn't find anyplace to have it remagnetized, so I had it replaced. Too bad because even though they had a considerably lower output, it was part of that vintage "clank" Rics are known for. Even though I have the vintage bypass push/pull pot installed, I get more of a "honk" than a "clank." Still uber-cool, but not exactly the same.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Rickenbacker invented the first electric guitar pickup the horseshoe pickup. The shoes were magnetized.

[​IMG]

Late 1968 Rickenbacker switched to a high gain pickup with a more modern magnet, but the put on a plastic or metal cover to simulate the horseshoe pickup..

[​IMG]

Those 2 pics are a real 60s horseshoe pickup.

12. Nick303

Nick303

Good info, I am genuinely enlightened and now have a growing appreciation for them. I must say though, that blonde one with small pickups is drop dead gorgeous.

13. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

That's a 4004, the "modern" Rick bass. It comes in two flavors: the Cheyenne II with maple/walnut/maple sandwich construction of the body wings and gold hardware; or the Laredo, with usually solid maple body wings and chrome hardware. Pickups are humbuckers.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Here's a 4004 with the humbucking hb-1 pickups

[​IMG]

15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Good thread. Need to replace the bridge pickup in my '72 4001.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

If you can find or get one built up from vintage parts, magnetic horseshoes sound great on them. Here is mine that has been on three different Ricks of mine, a '08 4003, '98 4001V63, and currently on my March '73 4001. The photos are of the '08 4003 and '98 4001V63.

Photo © Jeffrey P. Scott 2009 All rights reserved.

Attached Files:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The Reissue Horseshoe pickups have Alnico slugs and aluminum "shoes" that can be removed. The original horseshoe pickup had magnetised steel "shoes" that were prone to degaussing.

I prefer the high gain pickups to the horseshoe pickups.

18. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Wow. Why would Ric reissue a "horse-shoe" that wasn't a functional design?!!?

Can't imagine it sounds much like a vintage one...which makes me doubly sad that I junked mine when I had the hi-gain installed. Probably not a big deal to have them properly repaired these days...:(

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

People want their bass to look like Paul McCartney's 4001 or Chris Squire's 4001.

I played a 60s 4001 for many years and I learned to really hate the horseshoe pickup and the mechanical mute.

Now I play 4004 basses and I am happy.

20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yeah back in '84 I stripped my 4001 fireglo to mapleglo ... whoops!