1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ric Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MysteryBox, Aug 26, 2005.

1. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

I recently got a 1982 Rickenbacker 4003

Plays Great , Looks Sharp and Well used like a Relic Should be.

Only Problem is that the Grover Tuning Peg Heads (Tulip things you turn) Buzz whenever i hit Certain Notes and they feel Loose.

How do i fix this? What do it need to Tighten? And how do i do that?
  2. Mitchell Royce

Mitchell Royce

Tighten the 4 little screws in the corners of the tuning pegs. That should take care of the problem.
  3. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Well i can't tighten them they are as tight as hell already

And even then when i could thats not the Problem the Tuners themselves are in Perfect Place and Tightness.

The Actually Part you Turn (The Tulip) which is attached to Something else that comes from the Tuner is loose.

There is no noticeable screw besides the ones you pointed out.

How in blazes do i fix this?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

If its one that looks like this:

[​IMG]

You can try tightening the 'big' screw and see if that works. If that doesn't do it, you're bass probably has been tuned so much that the gears are worn down and you might need to think about a replacement scheme.
  5. keb

keb

I think I know what you're talking about... that tulip part that attaches to the "stem" which then attaches to the rest of the tuner. One of the tulip things came a little loose on my own Rick (though mine doesn't have Grover tuners). A little drop of superglue applied in the joint of the tulip and stem fixed it right up.
  6. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Well my tuners arn't like that they are grovers but they are like covered and its like a square that covers them and says grovers diagonally on the back.

But superglue eh? will if i can make it work better ill try it but i would prefer to do it in a way that doesn't involve that but if i can't figure it out ill do that.
  7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60 Supporting Member

Your Rick probably has wavy key Grovers like the ones in the pic... visit The Rickenbacker Forum (http;//forum.rickresource.com/) and ask around. If I'm not mistaken, a few folks have had "issues" having to do with these tuners, so you might get a few tips and tricks to fix 'em up!