Ric, which pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Iheartreverb, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Doing a bit of work and know there is more options that some think for a Ric. I'm not 100% on retaining a Ric tone but interested in the sound (and differences in) between

Seymour Duncan
    Bartolinii
    Classic Amplification

Also unsure what to do with pots. Is there a massive difference between 330k and more commonly available 250k/500k

All help appreciated, thanks in advance

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan Rick replacement pickups do not have any Rick tone in them at all, and neither do the barts. They are good pickups in their own right but they will not give you a Rickenbacker tone.

Classic Amplification pickups will give you the Rick tone.

Also Joe Barden makes some really good Rick replacement pickups as well.

3. theWilly

theWilly

I can't speak to the other replacement options, but I've got a 4003 with the Ric HB1 humbucker in the bridge and it sounds pretty awesome. It's very very silent and has a great thick, warm tone, and it'll thump too but retains the overall Ric tone pretty nicely. I gig an SVT and practice with an Orange Terror Bass 500. I'm not exactly going for the Geddy or Squire tone. I play with a pick in a dirty rock band...but this setup gets it done with compliments on tone from other musicians at every gig. Looks like you can buy the whole assembly for under $100 too, so not too cost crazy to try out for yourself.

4. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I have a Univox Ric copy with Barts and it sounds quite like a P-Bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Really? Odd seeing as the pickup construction and placement owe nothing to one. I'll keep that in mind (I still don't know what I want).

Anyone else?

7. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07

Classic Amplification and Gemini Pickups in the UK are the two I found that looked to be doing some quality stuff. Also, pickofthericks.com has some Hi-output

8. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I changed my stock pots out and kept my pickups stock.

Both tone pots: no-load.

Bridge volume: 10meg
    (I use 100% bridge all the time and sometimes soloed)

Neck volume: stock pot, 280k. I measured it and didn't bother changing it as I barely use the neck pup.(I changed the neck tone to no-load to take resistance out of the whole circuit, though)

It's an '03 4003 and sounded a bit thicker than the classic Ric tone. Now it has that + more treble attack.:)

9. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    My first Ric pickup-swap was for Carvin 22-pole humbuckers, back when they made them many moons ago. If I were to do it today, I'd go with the Joe Bardens.

And I'd go with 500K pots for volume, 500K no-load for tone.

10. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07

So my understanding is the Classic Amplification is the "Ric" sound but more so...? Seems like the same description of the Bardens...anyone played both?