Richard Bona - Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LakeEffect, Jan 4, 2014.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I've spent a lot of time on youtube checking him out, but I would like to purchase one of his albums. Very captivated by his playing.

My question is, what are all of your feelings/thoughts on each of his albums. What "vibe" do they give off? What is each's "theme"? Which would be a good one to start on?

Appreciate it!

2. oboylebass

oboylebass

I don't speak any African languages and yet, when he sings I somehow understand his emotions. His playing is downright beautiful.

3. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Never heard of this guy until now....just checking out some YouTube....wow...just wow.

4. oboylebass

oboylebass

When people first heard of Bona they considered him to be the next Jaco...seriously. I got some old issues of Bass Player and there are great articles about him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

if you like him go to Itunes and find singles that stand out for you! i would never buy an entire LP these days, ever!;)

7. LakeEffect

I bet those issues are very cool to have. Although that is a huge compliment, I'm glad he isn't. He is too potent of a musician in his own right to be "lumped" with anyone.

8. LakeEffect

If I didn't know I liked him yet this is exactly what I would do. But I am confident I dig him and am much more of an "album person". I really like listening to works start to finish in my headphones.

9. oboylebass

oboylebass

True, yes. Remember, Jaco wan't much of a vocalist, whereas Bona has a beautiful voice.

10. sbassface

sbassface Supporting Member

call me sentimental but I like his first release, Scenes from my life. Reverence, sounds a little more produced to me but I like it too! I'm giving Tiki another chance...

11. LakeEffect

^ Thank you. How would you describe his different works? At least from your interpretation of them.

12. sbassface

sbassface Supporting Member

I would say Reverence which I think is his third album is a little more refined, to be honest I didn't like what I heard of the album Tiki as much I'm resistant to change I guess.

Edit, I think you should get Reverence 1st, most "like his musical personality" to me. You can listen to that album all the way through for sure.

13. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

One of my faves is Pat Metheny's album "Speaking of Now."

I of course dig his work covering on Bright Size Life.

:D

14. LakeEffect

This is exactly the type of input I was looking for, thank you!

15. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

His 1st album (Scenes From My Life) is my favorite. Amazing vibe, so humble and musical. He was fairly unknown to the mainstream when it came out, and as much as I ABSOLUTELY LOVE him and his albums and playing, I believe he changed once he "made it". His albums after that 1st one sound heavily produced to me. On "Scenes From My Life", his virtuoistic playing is kept tasteful and simple, and there's a love and pain in his voice on the 1st record that I don't hear on any others.

16. christoph h.

christoph h.

I agree with the people that suggest "Reverence" as a great starting point.

17. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Epifani
    His latest Bonafide is awesome!!!

18. tedesco23

tedesco23

Speaking of Now is a wonderful album, but Bona is almost exclusively a vocalist on it, so if you're interested in him as a bassist, that would not be a good place to start.

19. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Richard bona is a gem! What virtuosic talent, both singing and bass playing! His humble background and life story are very inspiring, his music is so deep and soulfully played. Truly one of the greatest bass players of our time.

20. GastonD

GastonD

I knew about Bona for quite some time but only really paid attention and listened a couple of weeks ago - a revelation!

I just love his work in its entirety - bass playing, singing, overall musicianship, songs... There is something I cannot describe other than "the joy of life" coming out of Bona's music.

Personally, in my opinion you cannot go wrong with any of his albums, but I really dig the live ones.