Richard Bona's equipment??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unix, Dec 24, 2007.

1. unix

unix

does anybody know what kind of basses richard bona uses? i i realli like the shape.

2. timmyc

timmyc

A passive Fodera Emperor II I think, with Epifani amps

Nice and cheap setup really ;)

3. Ale

Ale

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    And a Pensa Fretless and a new New York Bass boutique 5 string that he used on the recent tour.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Disclosures:
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    He's got a ton of stuff, but then a lot of people just send him stuff. I've seen him with no telling ho many different brands.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wiro

wiro

7. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Bona doesnt seem to mind a bit of Glockenklang.... ;)

[​IMG]

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Richard Bona Signature Fodera
    Pensa Fretless
    Eden amplification
    Eden and SWR speakers

9. gwx014

gwx014

I think his signature Fodera is actually an Imperial.

10. Steve Amadeo

Steve Amadeo

I think he often takes a Walter Woods amp with him on tour and hires in a couple of 4x10 cabinets.

11. wiro

wiro

12. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    On the concert DVD with Mike Stern he plays a Fodera (Emperor, I think) through a Roland V-Bass system. Sounds wonderful.

13. Hou

Hou

Bona's Fodera is a Imperial 5 :smug:

14. KJung

KJung

+1... there is a 'Bona Signature' model listed on the Austin Bass Traders site, if you want a close look at the woods, etc.

Bona's Fodera is unusual in that it has the old style Bartolini soapbars, and he disconnected the pre and runs totally passive. He also has a mid trigger installed.

I assume all the gear listed above is just backline provided by the venue. His 'personal' rig (i.e., that he uses around NY when he's schlepping his own rig), at least until recently, is a 'stereo' Walter Woods Elektracoustic amp run into an Epifani 112 cab.

15. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Sounds like he uses whatever...much like Leland Sklar. Gear Whore!

16. KJung

KJung

In Bona's case, I think it's different. Most who are 'freelancer' type players who travel a lot rarely bring their own rigs. Usually, you have a list of 5-6 rigs that are acceptable and the venue, producer, agent, sound company, etc. will just supply one of those rigs based on availability. Since Bona plays large enough venues that I would assume virtually always have front of house PA's, the backline rig becomes nothing more than a personal monitor, so as long as it's in the general tone area of his primary personal rig (in Bona's case, reasonably clean and transparent SS heads with a full range cab with tweeter), he will probably be happy!

When he's schlepping his own gear, he seems quite consistent (again, as far as I know) in using the WW/Epifani rig.

This is similar to most freelancers who use their own rigs in town, and take whatever they can get on the road. If you are a player at my level, that ends up being a beat up SWR Workingman's head with an old Hartke cab more often than not. Bona seems to be more in the 'Glockenkglang' backline universe, which he should be given his amazing talent and success:)

17. Bubba Love

Bubba Love

Tell me about it. 'House rig' normally means 'local fire hazard.' I'm glad Bona gets to use some decent gear when he's travelling.

18. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Bona is currently using Glockenklang amplification.

19. thombo

thombo

+1
    as someone who works for a national, colorado based pro-sound/backline company, i can assure you that regardless of the size of the band, you rarely see people with their own gear (amps, drums, keys) for short, away-from-home tours, one-off gigs, and festivals.
    we have supplied full stage setups for everyone from bon jovi, to mmw, to christian mcbride, to many festivals around the country (snowmass/aspen, telluride jazz, blues and brews, and bluegrass festivals, high sierra music fest, transgression, etc).

it is cheaper for the pat metheny band (ny based) to do a ten day tour of the west coast with rented gear than to drive a tractor-trailer out and back.

richard also endorses roland amps.

20. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  21. Bubba Love

Bubba Love

Wow, that's surprising. I would have thought that classic rock guys would be the most concerned about using their own amps. It's not like BJ can't afford to shift them.