1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Richard Cousins

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Essexbass, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Essexbass

Essexbass

Hi,
    Does anyone know what happened to Richard Cousins, who was in the Robert Cray Band?

I thought he was a really good bassist with a great feel & some really good bass parts (real old school 60's Southern Soul player like Donald "Duck" Dunn & Tommy Cogbill).

The last I heard of him was playing on Van Morrison's "Too Long in Exile" album.... Anyone know what Mr. Cousins is doing now?

Cheers,
    Essexbass.
    P.S - I like Karl Sevareid too, but RC was my favourite....
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    couple years back he was with Ivan and Ian Neville... the DVD I have is 2004. I uploaded a couple tunes to youtube forever ago

They get surprisingly little notice.

As far as today... I've no clue other than the rumor he parties pretty hard.
  3. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I remember when Robert Cray first came on the scene and really digging what Cousins brought to the table. Like Johnny B Gayden he played blues, but also funked it up a little too. It took a little while for me to get over Cray letting him go. Now I really dig what Karl Sevareid adds too, and really can see what kind of feel Cray was going for when he made the change.
  4. Essexbass

Essexbass

Thanks for posting up the Youtube links James - great seeing RC sitting in the pocket in Ivan Neville's band. They've really got a real Meters type groove going on there.

Just hope RC isn't partying too hard though.

Cheers,
    Essexbass.
  5. lefty007

lefty007

Awesome band. Didn't realize Ivan Neville had such a good voice, and didin't even know he had his own band going. Amazing. That would be dream gig for me as far as music style.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Check out Dumpstaphunk!

http://www.myspace.com/dumpstaphunk

http://www.dumpstaphunk.com/

Nicky Daniels AND Tony Hall on basses :bassist: :bassist:

Essexbass: I know he had a band called "Hendrix Cousins" with the Hendrix and Pete Haas from those videos. Their site was updated just last month... http://www.hendrixcousins.com/
  7. MLJ

MLJ

Richard moved to Europe, Switzerland I believe, in the late 90's. He was doing a TV show there for a while as he attained instant celebrity status from his bass work here in the US. He quickly started a group called Hendrix Cousins and recorded two albums and had a couple hits in Germany. Both were good albums, the last one was my fav. You can find both on iTunes. Their site is www.hendrixcousins.com. He also, as mentioned above did some work with Ivan Neville. I just found out he is now playing with a European blues guy www.philippfankhauser.com. I played bass for several years with Richard's brother Butch Cousins, one of my favorite drummers. Talk about big shoes to fill, the guy grew up with his borhter playing bass with him! He kept me updated on what was happening with Richard.
  8. johnlyons

johnlyons

MLJ is absolutley right. Richard is living in Zürich, Switzerland. I had the fortunate experience to hire him to fill in for our bass player in my blues band for a private show a few months back. He also does some studio work in California sometimes with Alan Mitarikani ( BB Chung King & The Buddaheads ), as well as doing some shows with the likes of Jimmie Vaughn Steve Miller and others. He also plays in a really cool funk outfit over here ( I also live in Switz since 2001) called 'Funky Brotherhood'

www.funkybrotherhood.com

below is a couple photos of him and I taken May 5, 2007.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. johnlyons

johnlyons

just in case anybody else is keepin track - Richard left the Philipp Fankhauser band at end of 2008 and is now back togther with Cray on tour and doing a new record, and I got that info from him directly, peace ya'll
  10. Rincon Blue

Rincon Blue

Richard played last night (4/22/2009) here in Tucson with the Robert Cray band. Robert said he's known Richard since 1969 and that he had recently rejoined the band. Robert kept Richard on his toes as to which song was next in the playlist which had Richard scrambling for the right bass to play. Jim Pugh on keyboards and Tony Braunagel on drums round out the band at present.
  11. tedantle

tedantle

Richard played last night with Robert Cray here. A little too much on the songs and the a particular bass thing. Almost seemed like a power play between the two, because the band did not wait for him. Richard came in late on a couple of songs cause he wasn't ready. Two things come up for me. I usually have a standard set list (#1). (#2) I kinda like to get my sound right for the evening and stick with it. I have both a four and a five string. But totally understand different setups for different sounds. But hey, this is not a cover band. Its straight blues. Plus with a classic straight SVT set up... exactly where is the range of sound coming out of that thing? He was tweaking that every time he changed guitars. Although I didn't hear much difference between the guitars, he had a good sound.
  12. stingraysvt

stingraysvt Supporting Member

He's actually the one playing with Robert Cray at the Crossroads 2010, also played at the end on BB King's "The Thrill is Gone."
  13. tedantle

tedantle

Was he there. I am so old I can't remember, seems I should have. Obviously I was drunk again. I do rembember Pino and Robert Cray. Old.
  14. jeepyne

jeepyne

I have always loved RC. Imagine my delight in seeing him onstage for Robert Cray recently in Wilmington. The moves and the lines are the same only the dreads are different. I was sure when Robert Cray said "That Richard Cousins is som'fin else, ain't he?"
  15. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Yeah, I was at Crossroads 2010 as well. Richard Cousins played with Robert Cray during his band set. And it was Robert Cray's band (including Cousins) that played during the finale set which featured Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Vaughn and Robert Cray.
  16. tedantle

tedantle

Yes that was him in 2010. Also saw him here in Schaumburg (Chicago area) with Robert Cray. Great show. Room was around 300 people, packed but small. Not a bad seat in the house.