Rick o sound and mono together

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zephoria, Jan 21, 2014.

1. zephoria

zephoria

all right, I have searched and searched, I'm sure this info is out there and I just don't know what to search for.

I currently own a Warwick jazzman5, several effects, and 2 amps that I love. I have the opportunity to buy another one of my dream basses... a rickenbaker 4003. I have been trying to work out how I can use both basses during a show without having to switch a bunch of cables around.

here is part of my current effects path:

i can start off 1 of 2 ways: either direct cable or my sennhieser ew100 g2 which is capable of sending both mono and stereo.

good tuner (used as an always on tuner... I'm pretty obsessed about keeping in tune) -> various effects -> tuner (acts as a mute switch)

one side of the rick I sound I will only send to a mute switch of some sort (probably another crappy tuner I have) then directly to amp, maybe an eq but pretty much dry)

how can I make the switch without much hassle?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Just run the Rick in mono. It doesn't sound like you even have a stereo capable rig anyway, so...

3. zephoria

zephoria

I was planning on using both of my 500w tube amps with 2 of my 4-10's... that seems pretty capable to me!

4. M0ses

M0ses

Oh sorry I missed that.

Are you going to be using the sennheiser for both basses? I'm not exactly sure how your stereo wireless works, but what I would do is make sure the the bridge pup on the Rick was going to tip and the neck to ring; then when you get down the pedal board, send the ring/neck directly to one amp, and then the bridge/tip through the board and then to the other amp. Then when you switch over to mono, the warwick will go through effects.

But really, running two rigs that are so drastically different is going to make sound check a serious pain and will probably wreak havoc on your live sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zephoria

zephoria

yeah, the input on the body pack has stereo input and the cable that comes with the unit is a mono 1/4 to stereo 3.5mm. it sends a stereo signal (confirmed by hooking up iPod to sender and receiver to my stereo receiver via trs 1/4 to stereo RCA adapter and the signal split).
    as far as sound balancing goes I used to run a passive Ibanez and active Warwick together all the time, I balance them using an eq that has a volume Adjustment. I used the eq to shape the passive bass a little (very little, it was pretty much flat) and the volume level up... when I switched to the wick I muted via the tuner then kicked off the eq and plugged the wick in. it's not that big of a nightmare

7. zephoria

zephoria

oh and no worries on that oversight... happens to me all the time

8. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

Not entirely clear on what you are trying to do...

Are you planning to run both basses through both amps?
    If so connect them however you do and just use the same 1/4 mono for both basses and use the Mono out on the Ric.

Are you planning to run the Warwick to one and the Ric to the other?
    Again, just use the same mono cord, but into and AB switch to change amps when you change basses.

Are you planning to run the Warwick to one and the Ric to both?
    This is where sound issues noted above seem to be way more than a little EQ'ing can handle. Switching from one amp to two and back during a gig can be cool, but usally when the switch is intended to be anything but subtle...

This confuses me:"one side of the rick I sound I will only send to a mute switch of some sort". Is the plan to only run one of the pickups at all times (doesn't make much sense) or to be able to mute / unmute of of the pickups (and amps?) as needed? For external switching you can run the Ric-O-Sound into an ABY box and control that way, but if that is what you want to do you can just control the swtiching using the pickup selector toggle on the bass. No feet needed and you can choose one or the other or both on the fly. For extra fun the toggle in conjunction with an ABY box can lead to other posssibilities....

9. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Not sure what i do is of any assistance to you, have up to 4 basses ready to go, live stage. Choices were few, the simplest was a powered ( stereo ) mixer for my bass amplifier and separate speaker boxes. Have a stereo 4001 connected as required, in the mix, ie 3 of the mixer channels are stereo. Essentialy all the basses feed a mixer panel, which was the only way to manage all the permutations of what i use live.

In your case, you could utilise a low cost small mixer as the "front end" that way you can control the different output signal levels and even use the mixer mute buttons to leave bass volume controls pre set and ready to go, without having a live unused bass to cause issues with the sound.

Hope i make sense, it works well enough for me to include keys and looper in the system with a proper mixer doing all the control work, so i can relax and play as i ought to, and not a puppet of stomp boxes and associated equipment.

Regards.

10. zephoria

zephoria

fournotfive:
    my intent is to run both basses through both amps... i realize that if i use both amps for one bass and one amp for the other bass it will create an issue.

the reason for the mute switch is to mute that side... when i mute that side i will mute the other as well... the mutes are for tuning purposes mainly.

im guessing the aby switch is what i am looking for... i will google that later.

eight stringer:
    i have no intent on leaving both basses live, i would switch them out. when i was running both the wick and the ibanez i would kick the mute switch and pull the plug on the wick, plug it into the ibanez, kick on the eq and unmute the system. my thoughts were that if i were using my wireless i would remove the mono cable from the body pack on the wick then put the stereo cable from the rick on the body pack, hit a few switches to make the routing correct then unmute. i realize that it seems silly to say i want to pack up 2 separate amps and cabs to take to a gig but i also want to keep it simple but thats what i want to do... i dont think packing a, albeit small, mixer is the answer i am looking for, thanks though.

11. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

No problem Zephoria, as mentioned what works for me may not be useful for another person. Sure you will find a working solution, as you go. Did not realise you had a wireless setup. Here, gave up on that quickly, as two of my basses have 13 pin cables conencted as well as the normal pickup cable.

The more you use a particular or unique stage setup the better you become at doing the old switch-a-roo on stage live. Hope it all pans out for you. Regards.