1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rick setup tools

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JellinWellen, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My new rick is in need of a slight tweaking. My neck is perfectly flat from what I can tell and my E and A strings are where I want them. However my D and G saddles are bottomed out and I can't get the action as low as I want.

I'm pretty sure its due to the nut slots being cut waaayyy too high so I plan on filing them down a little bit. I've never had to do so before so what can I grab at the local home depot that would work well for doing such a task? I plan on getting a proper nut driver for the TR's too while I'm there.
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

3. Randall

Randall Supporting Member

stewmac.com has nut files. Take a look at their site for lots of info. Not sure if you can find anything local at the hardware store.
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Yikes, at what those cost I'd rather just take it to my local tech and get it done professionally for less.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

You can use a needle/round file which you probably can find at HD or a hobby store.
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Okay thanks, I may look back into DIY'ing the nut then.
    I checked the joeysbassnotes setup guide and my neck appears to be flat on both rods.
    My intonation is fine and I just cant make the D and G saddles go any lower.

Its pretty difficult to fret those two strings at the first fret and the nut for sure looks higher cut than the ones on my previous bass.

Sound like a nut issue? I read on TB that the nuts come cut high from the factory.
  7. Johntheson

Johntheson

You can actually use an old string to file the nut when you don't have any other tools to do so. Use it like a cord /chain file goind back and forth. Use the same or near the same gauge, and take it slow.
  8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Sand paper clamped around a drill bit:

[​IMG]
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Now that's a seriously good way to do it! DIY jig???
  10. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Dropped it off at the local tech today, got it back 6 hours later. He did a great job. The nut was indeed cut too high and not wide enough. My D string actually snapped getting it out of the nut he said. Told me there was no angle at all on the nut and was another major problem. 26$ later and everything's fixed. I'm very happy. :D
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

So the neck still needs to be straightened out, I went by the local HD and grabbed a 1/4 in. klein nut driver but the thing wont fit over the threads of the truss rods and go around the actual nut. Its too short, any suggestions?
  12. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

It may take a thin-wall, deep well socket.