1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker 4001 fingerboard finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dougazbass, Oct 20, 2013.

1. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

I have a 74 4001 that has a few small chips in the fingerboard finish. I would like to repair this. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the finish that they use?
  2. maxgrant

maxgrant Supporting Member

My '73 has had chips in the fingerboard for the 25 years I've owned it. Never even considered letting someone muck with it to "fix" that problem.

Is it cosmetic, or do you think it is affecting the sound?
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You can touch up shall chips with clear nail polish ...

Big chips you either leave it or refinish it.
  4. dougazbass

Not affecting the sound, just cosmetic. I found out that it is Conversion Varnish. I suppose that the small areas could be sanded and retouched with air brush.
  5. dougazbass

1/4" diameter chip is the largest. Thanks for the input.
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Possible CA glue finish repair.