[Rickenbacker 4001] What to fix? String is flat from 1-12th fret but higher above

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kombi, Mar 8, 2014.

1. kombi

kombi

When I pull down the string on the 12th fret on any string, the string is nicely low and flat down right to the first fret, but relatively high from everything above the 12th fret.

Is this a neck issue? ... or normal?
  2. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Well, first using the term "flat" indicates flat intonation (as opposed to sharp), but I think what you're seeing is perfectly normal. When you press the string down onto the 12th fret (octave), the distance above the lower frets (toward the nut) will be shorter than the distance above the higher frets (toward the bridge). You should find the same relationship to some degree at every fret. The string length between the chosen fret and the bridge is the area where the string vibrates to create sound, and there needs to be room for that vibration.
  3. kombi

kombi

haha, sorry! I'm not a native speaker. Learning something new everyday :)

Thanks for the answer!
  4. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

If your neck is pretty flat, no forward bow to it and you are having high action at the 12th fret, I suspect a bit of negative neck angle may be to blame. How high is the action at the 12 fret? Is the bridge all the way down or down as far as it can be before your strings hit the frets?

Sepp
  5. Register to disable this ad