1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rickenbacker 4003 Clipping Problem. Advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Dec 27, 2013.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

So I've had my Ric for a couple of months now, and it is everything I've ever dreamed. That powerful, aggressive sound, perfectly smooth neck, solid, beautiful build - fantastic. Best instrument I've ever played.

However, I've had a chronic problem with it since the beginning. When I hit the E string with any force, it clips. No matter what amp or DI box I'm using, it clips.

If I solo the neck pickup, no issue. But mixed or bridge solo'd, the clipping occurs. It's really not pleasant. Anyone else have this problem, and any specific recommendations to fix it effectively? Maybe lowering the E string specific bridge pickup pole (with an allen wrench or something)?

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, lower the pole below the E string

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

4. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Toggle between the two pickups. I bet you're gonna find that the bridge pick-up is substantially louder than the neck. Lower it, and continue to adjust and toggle between the two pickups, until the volumes are even. Then, even out the E and G sides.

The bridge pickup is pretty powerful, and the low notes are the ones usually responsible for clipping, so this should solve your problem.

Adjust the poles if you need to balance levels between strings, and then only if you have the Allen head type poles. The button/mushroom heads are not adjustable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Usually the clipping is from the string hitting the pole piece itself, so as advised, lower the pole/pickup.

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Pick up height makes a huge difference ,especially Rickenbackers
    Balance is the key word.