1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker 4003 fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by supremo, Jan 18, 2014.

1. supremo

supremo

I've got a Ric 4003 model 2012 and there is a fret buzz from the 1st fret up to the 7th fret in all strings. From the 8th to 20th all are ok.
    What should I adjust?
    Truss rod? Strings height? Bridge height?
  2. Precision101

Precision101

Sounds like the truss. Give a little more relief and it should be fine.
    But if that's not the case, the nut grooves are probably too low. Nothing you can't fix with some super glue and baking soda.
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Try the bridge, you want the neck as straight as possible. My brand new Rics nut was actually cut WAY too high. So I doubt the nuts too low.
  4. Ferret

Ferret

My new rick nut was cut too high also and Ricky said oh all go out set up proper. Truss rod sounds like, neck should be straight.
  5. GK Growl

GK Growl

OP,

Once you can get it to buzz equally from the 1st fret to the 20th fret, it will be set up perfectly!

Best regards,

Chris Squire
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

:p
  7. rbacker95

rbacker95

I don't think it would be the bridge, but I would check the truss rod.
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote

Nut slots too deep will result in string buzz on open strings, not frets 1-8.

I vote truss rods. There are two. If you're not sure what you're doing, get thee to a qualified tech with Rickenbacker experience.
  9. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

The adjustment of the trussrods must be the cause. Backbow makes the strings rattle and buzz at the first half of the board. Release them a little and see what happens.