1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rickenbacker 4003 neck&truss rod problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ulgen, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ulgen

ulgen

Hi, new to this forum and this is my first post. Any kind of help is appreciated..

I have a 99' rickenbacker 4003 and until now I have been adjusting the truss rods by myself when it was needed thanks to some web sources like joey's bass notes.

However this time I have a problem that I think I am not able to solve by myself. There is something like a small 'bump' between 5th and 7th frets under E string, that causes problems while I am playing on e and a strings. There is no problem G side of the neck tough. However I am not able to lower strings they seem so high now.

The main problem is that I don't know any luthier here in Istanbul that I can trust enough to leave my guitar.

So far, I tried to changed the strings with lighter ones, I don't know if it was the right action to be taken, but I had rotosound strings with I guess the gauge of .110 on E, now I have d'addario cb80 that has a gauge of .095 in order to reduce the tension on the neck, which didn't solve the problem, then I completely loosened all the strings and both truss rods, waited around two days, but still that bump, that ''S''shape was there on the E side.

So now considering that I don't have access to a rickenbacker master luthier, I'd really appreciate your comments about solving this problem, if I can do it by myself!

Thanks a lot!

2. jamesCD

jamesCD

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Carrigan Designs
    Can you post some pictures of the problem? This will make it a lot easier for one of us to help you.
    My wife and I were in Istanbul back in 07. Spent a week there. A great town with a lot of friendly people. Had some of the best seafood ever at a restaurant at the Galata bridge.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Truss rod adjustment is unlikely to help with a bump or twist on one side of a fret board. Is the bump in the wood or the fret?

4. ulgen

ulgen

Hi, I am really glad that you enjoyed Istanbul, and I hope there will be a second time for you to explore there more!

Actually at the moment I am not near to my bass, I had to come back to my hometown because we have the elections tomorrow, on monday I will be able to post some pictures.

But If I am to describe it more, there is no tension on the neck, on the E side there is a forward bow like a bump between 5th and 7th frets, so there is an S shape and G side seems to have so much relief.

I will upload some pictures asap! Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ulgen

ulgen

The bump seems to be on the wood I am afraid