1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

rickenbacker 4003 what a pain in the...!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Feb 3, 2013.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

I just got a new 2011 rick and...

Its wierd, using my 3/32 allen key I was able to adjust the A and D string pole pieces on the neck pickup. However, the E and G string's pole pieces just wouldnt budge! Help please....

also, its a pain to find the correct tool for its truss rod adjustment
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

The correct tool for the TR adjustment is a thin walled 1/4" nut driver. As for your pole pieces, I got nothing.
  3. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

4. GM60466

GM60466

5. willsellout

willsellout

Just don't go there saying anything bad about a Ric:)
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Yeah, I have no love for RRF or the Ric corporate site. There are plenty of guys right here that know how to handle a Ric. There is always " Joey'sbassnotes.com" too.

I think pretty much anyone with experience with adjustable pole pieces ought to be able to offer helpful advice. I already told you what the TR tool is. They are $8 at Sears.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya I am part of a long list of people banned for voicing unpopular opinions.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

If you work on your own basses then you need at least one set of good allen wrenches. I have a whole box full. Sometimes the pole pieces on a Ric pickup will get stuck. You will need to apply some force to get them to move.

I have a nice workbench stocked with screw drivers, nut drivers, allen wrenches, drills, dremmel tools, fret files, etc ... With the proper tools you can do a setup on any bass.

Rickenbackers are a little different than Fenders to work on.

Are you trying to move the poles up or down? They may be bottomed out and only be able to go up .
  10. armybass

Yeah I was zapped for being critical too but I am suggesting the site to the OP because if you go there for information.....you can get good, accurate Ric info free by many helpful Ric enthusiast who are more than happy to pass along valuable information and the vast majority over there are extremely friendly too .
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

You are one of the guys I was referring to in my earlier post. No need for the BS that goes along with RRF or the corporate site when we have guys like you around here. I dislike the "Ric police". lol
  12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Could the pole pieces be bottomed out or topped out?
    Try turning them in the other direction to see if they have any play.

FWIW all mine have about the same feel, none more loose than others.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

It really is a shame that a few ruin it over there because the majority of them are nice people.

And actually that type of problem exists on a few other web sites for Fender and Musicman instruments. Sometimes when a forum is limited to only one brand it gets a little weird.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

True dat. Same could be said about the corporate site. A lot of those guys are very cool and very helpful. I guess for me personally I have a bigger problem with all the *** lickage that goes on at those places. JH isn't going to give anyone a free bass so I don't understand why everyone feels the need to kiss his ***. I think he is a tool. I told him that too.;)
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Most likely, bottomed out. They are in the bobbins pretty tight, so don't be afraid to use a little muscle on it, just don't go crazy with it.
  16. armybass

Amen, I have been playing and working on my own gear for 30 years. I think nothing of adjusting a truss rod, setting intonation, action ect.....ON A FENDER! Not so much on a Ric. There are lots of little tricks and do's and don'ts with Ric's when it comes to working on them yourself. I have learned to stop, look, ask questions and take my time when it comes to making adjustments on my Rics. But the important thing is that having a Ric well set up is what makes them fun to play... many folks who hate Rics have only experienced poorly set up basses and that can really make for a less than enjoyable experience. Fenders, G&L's and Music Man basses are all pretty to work on and are usually very forgiving when it comes to trial and error. Not so much with Ric. Take time, ask questions when it comes to making adjustments and doing your work and I think you will find lots of success with your Ric.
  17. 4001

Yeah, they will probably issue an infraction or ban you for publically expressing your opinion.;)
  18. guymanndude1

guymanndude1 Supporting Member

If you've got a factory pick up, my Ric owner's manual says that the pole pieces aren't adjustable, in fact you may damage the pickup. The bass pickup will have a noticeable drop in volume between the treble pickup and the bass pickup. That is because of pickup placement. The toaster tops had an even bigger drop.
  19. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

20. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

Really? Thank god the bridge is where the good's at! An I the only one finds that the ric is like a jaz in the sense that the tone sounds scooped if u crank both the pickups?