1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by pablobrad, May 3, 2012.

1. pablobrad

pablobrad

Can NEVER get my bottom E string to 'ring' true like the other 3 strings. It gives a dull, dead sound. Any advice pls?
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

What type/brand of strings are you using?
  3. pablobrad

pablobrad

I've tried quite a few ranging from mid to high price but always the same thing
  4. pablobrad

pablobrad

Ps: because I have the E string so high away from the pickup, that probably doesn't help either but I do angle the pickup to try to maintain it's effectiveness
  5. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Try tightening the truss rod closest to the E string about 1/4 turn. That may do the trick. remember the neck on the Ric should be as close to dead straight as you can get it also.
  6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Rics are common for the dead E string... I can attest to that personnally having owned one... I tried everything one could think of and still I declared forfeit, she just did not want to give me that punch !
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

You might check to make sure the string mute is not touching the string.
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would try EQ settings. I like my EQ on the Bassy side and find in a live setting I get too much low end and Have to EQ for the High's. I use Stock strings. I would avoid having any string higher than the others to any extreme. It sounds like you need a Pro Setup on Your RIC.
  9. nightwulf

nightwulf Supporting Member

Rick's are noted for having a "dead E"...you can help it out a bit with good eq....
  10. Srirachaglo

Srirachaglo

I'm 99.9% sure that it has to do with your pickup and/or pole height:
    Pole too close to E causes the string to get caught in the p'up's magnetic field and loses sustain and causes a warbly sound.
    Poles too far away from string won't have enough output.
    You have to find the sweet spot. I had a "distant" sounding E string that was cured by raising the E string pole higher than the rest (but not too high!). This also meant I had to lower some of the other poles too. Only new (200?-current) have adjustable pole pieces, so make sure this is a feature on your bass. This should fix the problem though. Also, you should read more into this at joeysbassnotes.com - he goes into better detail about p'up height and other common setup problems. Good luck!
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Some do, and some don't. Neither of mine ('01 4003 & '73 4001) do - now. They both did have the Dead E Syndrome, after I got them off eBay and let them acclimate to Las Vegas for a couple of months. In both cases, loose screws were a contributing factor; especially the tailpiece screws. On the 4001, wonky bridge height screws and the mute touching the E string were the other causes. On the 4003, it was loose screws and pickup height adjustment; that came right after I had to redo them after putting the bridge p/u cover back on. I've also heard that the E string saddle can contribute to this.

Definitely refer to Joey's Bass Notes; lots of good stuff there. And, as for trying to raise the pole pieces; unless they have a hex wrench hole in them -Don't! The plain ones are not adjustable (unless you're very, very lucky). Generally, fixing this problem takes patience and lots of careful tweaking. Unfortunately, every once in a while, nothing seems to work; hope that's not the case for you!
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Mine don't. You need to adjust the pickup(s).
  13. shameline

shameline

Mine does it too!! (2012 4003).

Would replacing the bridge with a hipshot bridge helps?

I was wondering if maybe the stone holding the E string gets carved to deep, causing the E string to be muffled by vibrating into the stone...

Thanks!
  14. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

I recently replaced my bridge with the hipshot and it was a major improvement. All the strings have much more clarity and more sustain. Also the individual string height definitely made a difference.
  15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's mostly about getting the Pole piece closer to the E string. You still need the action to be at an acceptable level. Then you can adjust the pickup height.