Rickenbacker '74 tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 66p, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 66p

66p

I've seen a 1974 4001 for sale in Brisbane Aus that has enclosed style Grover tuners.
    I had a Rick mid seventies and was sure the tuners were the open Schaller style. Most photos I have seen of 4001 models seem to have these as well but some look to have the Grovers. Anyone know if Rickenbacker used both for a while or switched over at some point? Maybe the Grovers were a modification by the owner?

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I had a '74 4001 that I purchased new in 1976 from Mike Lull just before he went out on his own, it came with Grover tuners, at some point they did indeed switch. I'm sure more knowledgable Rickenbacker folks will chime in - I kept that bass for more than 30 years, it's the only bass I truly regret selling.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

A '74 4001 would most likely have the Slimline tuners but the mid '70s was a transition time for Rickenbacker so there was quite a bit of overlap in various features and hardware. You would know for sure if the Grovers are not original as they would not cover the mounting holes for Schallers.

4. woodyng

woodyng

My december '74 4000 was originally outfitted with enclosed Grovers. They must have exploded at some point because it had open-back Klusons on it when i bought it. I wouldn't have even known about the Grovers,except i decided to replace the reverse action Klusons with a modern set of Hipshot tuners,and found the original mounting screwholes under the Klusons.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

While I really like the Wavey Grovers, you really can't beat the open back nickel Klusons. They are nearly indestructible!!

Sepp

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

I have an '84 4003 of all basses also with the wavy grovers! it's a weird mutt bass though, because it also came with the .0047 cap and 70s pickups and bridge p'up mount.

they're highly functional (and super cool!) tuners, but I am experiencing the beginnings of explosion. I've had to re-stake the tuners a couple times for them to hold flush, but they are, for the moment, nice and secure

8. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

Paul Boyer's Ric book states the tuners for the 4001 in those years are "Closed back Grover tuners (these have flat keys)"

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

They did use the wavy Grovers off and on, supposedly due to temporary lack of supply of the reverse Klusons, evidently up until as late as 1984-1985.
    A lot of the 4080s were built with wavy Grovers and some late 4001 and early 4003 basses as well.

Take care of them, since replacements are very hard to find and extremely expensive when you can find someone willing to sell them.

I think they look great, and it would be nice to find quality reproductions at a reasonable price.
    I guess they weren't common enough for aftermarket makers to bother with them.

10. Roger M

Roger M Gold Supporting Member

My 4001 dates to August 1974 and has closed back enclosed Grovers

11. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

my May 73: wavy grovers.

Attached Files:

12. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

My 72 4001 has enclosed Grovers with flat tuners, instead of wavy.

13. 66p

66p

thanks all for your response. They are the wavy Grovers and from all of this I guess original. Now the question is can I afford it? Hmmmm.....