Rickenbacker 75th Anniversary 4003

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PaulBoyer, Oct 12, 2013.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

While preparing my book over the last eight years or so, I accumulated quite a few Rickenbacker basses. I'm no longer an active player, and I'd like to see the collection distributed to folks who want/need/appreciate a good Rick!

Remember back in 2006 when everyone was falling over themselves trying to get on some dealer's list to get one of the 75 special 75th Anniversary Dark Cherry Metallic basses? I was one of them, and was fortunate to get onto North Coast Music's list. As you can imagine, the color is spectacular, especially in sunlight. Dark Cherry Metallic is a fine-grained port-wine color. The 75th Anniversary models feature special laser-etched pick guard (detail photo) back painted in gold with a laser-etched clear acrylic truss-rod cover back painted in silver (lettering) and gold. This bass is virtually unplayed, with less than an hour of noodling and no gigging. However, the back of the instrument developed longitudinal (up and down) checking in the finish, and a little checking on the front of the headstock (hard to show in photos). The front of the body is unaffected.

Price is firm at $1999 with case plus shipping. No lower offers, no trades.

Attached Files:

2. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Sweet! Great price too. Congrats on the book Paul!

3. rickomania1970

rickomania1970

can we see the photo of back of the finish sir ? i am a serious buyer

4. PaulBoyer

I'll have to take one. It's pretty hard to see the checking. I'll have to play with the lighting to get it to show.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

What a beauty, and a great price too! I tried to get on a list for one (Bass Emporium) and of course they got one in and sold it for double the asking price. These were going in the 4k range back then.

7. PaulBoyer

Here's a shot that shows the checking on the back. This has no effect on the instrument's playability. The front of the body has NO checking. I have no idea how this came about. I've heard that other Dark Cherry Metallic instruments have the same checking.

Attached Files:

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I owned one of these for a couple of years, and it seems that finish checking is the norm on this issue. Mine was a great player; I traded/sold it for a '72 4001 and despite how great that bass is, I miss mine. Absolutely gorgeous color. Good luck with the sale, Paul. The price is more than fair.

9. PaulBoyer

SOLD! Thanks, Tomas!

10. Silver1

Silver1 Supporting Member

I recently purchased your book "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass: 50 years as Rock's Bottom" and continue to be impressed with it's clarity, detail,and quality pictures. It's truly the "Bible" for Rick basses. Thank you!

11. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Great deal! If only I didn't buy 2 Rics last month already...haha.

12. Citiba

Citiba

You still have it?