1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rickenbacker bridge height adjustment screw hole stripped...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BigJohnny, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BigJohnny

BigJohnny

The height adjustment screw hole on my 2011 4003 Mapleglo bridge (next to E string) is stripped. I can literally pull out the height adjustment screw without turning it.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing an issue like this? Do I need to buy a new bridge ($75 on Rickenbacker's site) or this this something that can be fixed without taking it to a repair shop?

Thanks for any help.

2. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Is it the bridge or the allen screw?

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

If the hole is bigger than it should be you may be able to put the next size larger allen screw in the hole and have it work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

He said he can pull it out without turning it. He means the actual screw itself ;D

7. BigJohnny

BigJohnny

The threads on the screw are fine. I am pretty sure it is the hole on the bridge. If positioned right I can turn the screw and it will catch and start to go in, but if I jiggle it back and forth I can pull it out.

I am going to stop by the hardware store and see if this is something they carry - and then the music shop where I take my basses in for repair.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Your local hardware store will probably have the next size larger screw that may work. Get 2 of them. Use the first to cut new threads and the second the hold the bridge in place.

9. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Could this *possibly* be a warranty issue? No one's mentioned contacting Rickenbacker about this.

Here's a maybe, if you want to use the original height adjustment allen screw: get a nut that's the same thread, and JB Weld (epoxy) it to the underside/inside of the bridge. Rough up both surfaces to be epoxied as much as possible. Use the slow curing JB Weld, and let it cure for a whole day.

10. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Just a thought, but why not try some plumbers tape on the threads of the screw? Might proivide enough grip to hold the screw.
    Fishheadjoe

11. BigJohnny

BigJohnny

To my surprise, this worked. :D Thanks!

This will hold me until I can get it properly fixed.

12. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Glad that worked for yah... I wouldn't imagine it being a permanent fix, although if you don't have to adjust that screw for some time to come, it might last quite some time.
    Fishheadjoe