1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker HB1 wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Achtane, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Achtane

Achtane

Hey, I have a Ric HB1 that I really hate the sound of in single coil mode, so I've taken it out of my bass and want to rewire it into series humbucking. The problem is, I get no reading/signal when hooked up this way.

Here's the layout: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19521-HB1 Wiring.pdf

When wired as it shows,
    black + red reads 7.6k.
    clear + red reads 7.6k.
    blue/ground + red reads nothing. It should read around 14-15k if I'm not mistaken.
    No matter how I connect the wires, I get this same result where only individual coils can be read. I reflowed the solder at the eyelets 'cause I've read that this can be a problem with the HB1, but nothing changed.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11739
    This guy had a similar problem with the output, however he was able to read 14k right off the bat. Unlike his pickup, the wires and labels on mine do correspond with the wiring diagram.
    Am I doing something wrong here?
  2. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

each coil should read 7.6k,
    so with everything disconnected:
    black - red = 7.6k ohms
    clear - blue = 7.6k ohms

with clear connected to black:
    red - blue = 15k ohms

I have an HB1 in my ric and I also haven't found a use for the single coil sound. I have it connected to a push/pull pot but never use it.
  3. Achtane

Achtane

Thanks for the response.

With everything disconnected, black + red is 7.6k.
    clear + blue is...14mohms.
    Clear and black connected, red + blue is also 14m. Wat.
    Do I have a near-dead coil?
    And if so, I don't have a warranty on it, gahhh. I've read that disassembling the HB1 ruins it because of how it's potted.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

5. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sounds like you have a short in what is listed on the diagram as the 'north' coil. It's either that or wires are grounded that shouldn't be, try checking the resistance to ground of each of the wires for the north coil and if all else fails get a soldering gun or high watt iron and take the casing off the pickup and try and investigate further, I think I saw a guide on disassembling one of these somewhere before.

If you're afraid of wrecking it you might just have a single coil HB-1.