1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker neck/headstock joint

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanderic, Nov 21, 2012.

1. sanderic

sanderic

While recently looking at photos of a new 4003 online, I noticed how smoothly the back of the neck flowed into the headstock.
    On my old 4001 (1978), the back of the neck, coming down from the headstock, is flat almost half way to the first fret.
    Somewhere along the way, Rickenbacker must have changed their tooling, or method of manufacture of the neck. Does anyone have information on when the change would have occured? Or do I just happen to have a neck where the employee pulled the wood away from the neck shaper about a 1/2 inch too soon? Seems unlikely, as both sides of the neck are shaped the same.
    This is not a complaint or jab at Rickenbacker, as I have loved these basses for over 35 years, just a question about subtle changes in construction over the years. Thank you for your input.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The body and neck shapes have had dozens of changes through the years.

Currently Rickenbacker and most other basses are made by cnc machines.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Back in '78, they were still done by hand. And, as Ric5 pointed out, there have been many many changes over the years. Usually subtle, but comparing a '78 to an '08, the differences can seem more extreme.
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I had a 91 and compared to my 2011 its very different. The 2011 is a smooth round neck all the way up and down , the 91 had a blocky area behind the nut, I like the newer shaping.
  5. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

My '79 also quite thick around the first fret.
  6. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    That is a volute.
  7. sanderic

sanderic

That is not a volute, in the Gibson style: a deliberate thickening of the wood to strengthen the neckjoint. On my 78, the shape of the neck does not begin until almost at the first fret. From a woodworking standpoint, I believe that the carving pattern was designed to pull the neck blank away from the cutter at around the first fret.