1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rickenbacker neck...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eupharies, Jan 11, 2013.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Hello!

Is there an easy way other than having a new neck made... to stain a neck ebony...

I have just purchased a ruby red Rickenbacker... (love) and well it would look so much more immense with an ebony neck...

Of course i would not undertake this myself it would be done by someone who knows what they are doing but...

What would be easier... staining it or having a neck made...

2. capncal

capncal

messing with that piece of art would be like, well, messing with a piece of art. leave it alone!

but if you must, i'd say a new neck would be in order. i've stained lots of floors, but i doubt i'd every try to stain a fretboard. i'd imagine you'd have to have the finished baked on. something custom like that is liable to cost as much as a new neck.

but i really have no experience with that.

3. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Staining would definitely be easier, and cheaper. Though having your own neck made would let you have your own shape and radius and inlays and suck. But having it stained would definitely be cheaper!

4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If this is a neck-through instrument, as most Rics are, you are SOL inre: having a neck made.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I assume that by neck You mean the fretboard?

Staining the FB black is relatively easy, but relatively time consuming=expensive.
    What is it now?
    Rosewood or maple?

If OTOH You want an ebony FB, just the FB is removed and replaced, no need for a new neck. Not cheap, but perfectly doable.

Removing the wings from the center block can be done as well, but pretty pointless unless a NT neck is totally trashed.

Regards
    Sam