1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rickenbacker.... Pickup distorting HELP !

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidD, Nov 30, 2012.

1. DavidD

DavidD

I own a 1982 Rickenbacker 4003 Bass, just recently when positioning the selector switch to the treble (Bridge) pickup position, Strings E,A,and D distort at all volumes, the G string sounds smooth and unaffected. I bypassed the Capacitor .0047uf between the pickup selector switch and the treble volume knob center post, thinking the capacitor might have gone bad, but still same thing..... Since my treble volume and tone knobs both check out and function,.. Is it right for me to assume its the pickup that has gone bad ??? And has anyone ever encountered a problem like this before ?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Lower the bass side of the pickup one full turn.

3. 12bass

12bass

If this happens even when the gain on your amp is very low, then there may be a cold solder joint in the bass's wiring. The pickup's output should not be distorted, even if close to the string.

4. DavidD

DavidD

Adjusted the pickup... same problem exists... I think 12bass is right, maybe a cold solder joint,.... Is it possible for part of 1 pickup to go bad, Ex. possible breaks in the winding ???

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DavidD

DavidD

The reason I ask is because , it doesnt explain why the G string comes through clear , yet the other E,A,and D are distorted

7. 12bass

12bass

It is a bit strange that the G is clear... but the other strings also generally produce more output because of the greater mass of the strings. If it were me, I'd start by closely inspecting the wiring, then perhaps touching up the solder joints with a little fresh solder. Could also be related to the Ric-o-sound jack, which connects or separates the outputs of the two pickups depending on the type of cable used. Have you tried plugging/unplugging with a 1/4" plug to see if the problem goes away?

FWIW, I'd suspect a wiring issue before a problem with the pickup.

8. DavidD

DavidD

Thanks 12Bass, I agree, I think you are "Spot-On" Im suspecting the wiring too, ... T'is very odd I must say. When I find the gremlin in the mix, I will take away his bag of tricks, then post here what I had found !!! thanks for your help !

9. DavidD

DavidD

YAY !!!!!!!!!!! I REPLACED THE TREBLE PICKUP and WELLA !!! PROBLEM SOLVED !!! So.... If anyone with a Ric Bass 4003 ever has this problem,.... consider the pickup as the possible culprit !

10. iunno

iunno

It's "voila", and did you try reflowing the solder joints first? Ric pickups are rather expensive.

11. DavidD

DavidD

I stand corrected.... "Voila" It is ! But Yes, I had re-soldered all the joints, because i did suspect a cold solder joint, but all were good ! Only when I took out my pickup and replaced it with a new one (Props to Chris !!! P.S. Ordered from "Pick of the Rick's" website !!!) and Voila !!! It was fixed !!!

12. 12bass

12bass

Glad you got it sorted. Odd that the pickup was faulty. Could probably get someone to repair it, like SGD....