Rickenbacker refret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bygoneguy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bygoneguy

bygoneguy

Can someone please give me a rough estimate on what the cost of a complete refret of a rickenbacker 4001 would be? Sorry for posting in two categories but I need an answer fast as I only have an hour to decide on whether to buy this bass or not.

Thank you in advance.
  2. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

I think I paid $350 to have it done a few years ago. The two things concerns are breaking the binding and chipping the varnish on the fingerboard.
  3. bygoneguy

bygoneguy

Thank you. In the end for what they were asking and the amount of time and money it would have needed to be repaired it ended up being not worth it.
  4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I took my first 4001 to Mark Erlewine in Austin, TX when I decided it finally needed a refret. He told me that the only way to really do it right on the Rick was to take the old finish off the fingerboard, refret it and then refinish it.

Back then (mid 80's) Ricks were worth matchsticks, about a max of $400, because they were everywhere and everyone was trying to get rid of them. I don't remember what he quoted me to do the work, but it was a big enough fraction of the cost of the whole thing to make it not worth it. There was also a kind of scowl on his face as he talked about it, which made me even more apprehensive about it - he didn't look really charged up about doing it period.

Nowadays maybe it'd be worth it if it's a favorite instrument, but it still sounds like a rough job and something for a real professional with the right tools, etc.

LS
  5. Register to disable this ad