1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker "Shadow" 4003 (1986)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PaulBoyer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

While preparing my book over the last eight years or so, I accumulated quite a few Rickenbacker basses. I'm no longer an active player, and I'd like to see the collection distributed to folks who want/need/appreciate a good Rick!

Yes, the legendary "Shadow" -- a special bass (50 or 60 made depending on the "source") made for Guitar Center in 1986. Unique among 4003 basses, the Shadow had checker binding with black outer binding, and large black dot position markers on the fingerboard. I bought this Shadow back in September 2008. Like many of the others in the collection, this bass is in near-mint condition. When I measured the neck girth of all the basses in my collection, this one came out as the thinnest - even thinner than my two '72 4001s! The neck is incredibly thin and the action is real easy. As with other basses of the late '80s, the body horns are chunky.

The Shadow is in near-mint condition, except for some scratches on the seven-screw blackened tailpiece. The strings on it are D'Adarrio "Slow Wounds" (rounds) with their multicolored silks that I had purchased back when they were the current rage. Certainly one of the finest basses Rickenbacker has made. Priced accordingly.

Price is firm at $3100 with case (plus shipping). No trades, no lower offers.

Attached Files:

2. PaulBoyer

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yeah, it is pricey, but the Shadow is one of THE best Rick basses ever made. Super slim neck and great grinding tone.
  3. EduardoK

EduardoK Gold Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Is the fretboard finished natural or varnished?
  4. PaulBoyer

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Varnished on all 4003 models.
  5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Spaulding get your foot off the boat! Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1

True statement. Awesome bass!
  6. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Spaulding get your foot off the boat! Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1

This one is still on my Christmas list. :)
  7. basser05

basser05 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

8. PaulBoyer

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yeah, it's after Christmas, but you can still present yourself with this gorgeous bass!
  9. PaulBoyer

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

SOLD!

Thanks, Keren!