1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SonOfDelorian, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SonOfDelorian

SonOfDelorian

Hey guys,

I've been after some strap locks for a while for my Ricky but I've just read on the Rickenbacker website they take different screw fittings to normal ones. Anybody know about this? Don't wanna risk damaging the bass.

Cheers
  2. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

If they take bigger screws just widen the holes on the strap locks. Thats what I did for my P bass (The screw kept coming loose so I put in a bigger screw and widened the hole in the strap lock itself.)

GO onto the ric forms and see what everyone is using for Strap Locks though. There has to be a pair that everyone uses :p
  3. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Be careful.... Factory RIC strap pins are a pain in the @$$. I would make sure you listen to some of the RIC experts here before screwing up your bass.
  5. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

How old is your Rick? The new ones come with strap locks on the bass. You shouldn't have to do anything if you have a strap already setup for it. I have used straplocks exclusively for the last 20 years, but don't remember the brand and they worked fine with the existing pegs on my 2009 Rick.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

RIC install Schaller strap posts in their 4003 Series at the factory. They're is a matching metal insert inside the body that the post screws into, but be careful as the post tends to back itself out when the strap clip is attached to it. I put a couple of drops of locktight on mine. Now those posts are there for good.

TD
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the strap buttons already on your bass are Schaller's. All you need is the strap half of the locks, no need to remove or replace anything.
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I use the Dunlop strap lock system on all of my basses. When I got a 4003, I replaced the Schaller buttons with Dunlops with no problem. I put the Schallers back on when I sold it. Never had any loosening problems...
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

A pain??? not really ... the new ones screw right into the existing holes and they work with the Schaller straplok system. You can retrofit the new pins into any 60s or 70s Rickenbacker. They started coming with the straploks installed 20 or more years ago.

I have on a couple of Rics intalled the dunlap straploks because I like them better than the Schaller ones. But the Schaller ones work just fine.
  10. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

If you wanna go another route, you can get strap locks that the screw is too small for, put 2 toothpicks in the hole, break them off, and screw the strap locks on. It works perfectly and won't damage the holes. If you ever want to switch back, just take the toothpicks out. Professional woodworkers use this technique when they run into similar problems on furniture.
  11. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

^^^^^
    This is what I found with my 2011 4003.
    Fishheadjoe
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

No metal inserts that I have ever seen. :meh: