1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbacker tech in Huntsville AL?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jeray, Feb 4, 2014.

1. jeray

jeray

Hi all, I'm in need for a guitar tech in Huntsville AL that can do a neck adjustment on my Rickenbacker 4003 bass. Can anyone in the area recommend a good one? Would like to do it my myself but right now, the neck is in pretty bad shape. The last guy that had it must have done the adjustment blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back and he won't reply to emails or phone calls now. Thanks in advance.

Jerry A
  2. Geri O

Geri O

I don't have anyone I can suggest there, but I'm curious, what's the symptoms of your neck? Too much bow? Too straight?

If you can't find someone, it's not out of the realm of possibilities to make the adjustments yourself. There's no telling how many videos about neck adjustments are on YouTube. I wouldn't go by just any old video, so hopefully, someone here can recommend a specific video that you'll find helpful. You should watch and see if it's something you might be able to tackle.

Good luck,
  3. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Ricks aren't hard to adjust - I've done my own work and there are several good articles online that will help you get through it.

It's not too far from Huntsville to Nashville - and if you want a good repair, there are several good techs here.

I've used Corner Music in Nashville for a couple of repairs and they do excellent work. These guys know what they're doing and perform the work at a very fair price.
  4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

I gave up trying to find anyone in LA to work on my 4001 so I sent it to Mark Arnquist (who worked at RIC in the 70's) up to his shop in Seattle last month. Needed some serious truss rod and neck maintenance among other things. Came back better than the day it was built in '79. If it's just straightening the neck, like Gizmot said, there are some great resources to walk you through it. Joey's Bass Notes for one.

Just saying if you can't find someone who knows how to work on Rics where you are you may have to seek out other avenues for repairs. Good luck to you!!
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Hopefully you will find a good tech in Huntsville. If not, this guy can take care of any problem you have. He's in Homewood which would be a decent haul for you, but If you want absolute top shelf work, Jason is your guy.

http://www.burnsrepair.com/Home.html
  6. jeray

jeray

Thank you all for the replies! Been lurking here for quite some time but always been “post shy”. The neck is pretty bad, there’s a relief bow (big time) from about the 3rd/4th fret towards the nut and there seems to be a twist just shy midway also from the nut. There is now the dreaded tail lift on the bridge that was not present when I dropped of the bass, never had it in the 14 years I had the bass that I bought new.
    I believe you guys (+ gals?) are right about doing the adjustments myself. Been playing Rics for a while and seen some bad/bent necks before but not one that’s bent like a pretzel like mine is, not sure what the clown (a expert in Nashville) did. I’ll give the neck adjustment shot. Thanks again for the replies!

Jerry