Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender2015, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Fender2015

Fender2015 Gold Supporting Member

Thinking about selling all gear and buying a Ric. Any opinions? Don't like tone of my American Jazz bass. Thinking of getting ric or deluxe precision with pj set up. What ya think?
  2. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

Which one, the 4003 or the 4004? I play a 4003, and I wouldn't trade it for anything... and I love the classic Rickenbacker growl. 4003 vs. 4004 vs. hating Ricks entirely seems to be a matter of taste.

Have you played one? Are you a fan of someone noted for playing one?
    karl_em_all and Blackjac97 like this.
  3. Fender2015

I like the 60s sound a la Mcartney, waters entwhistle
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fender2015

That was a mistake. My iPad said this one did not post
  7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Some players have an issue with the lack of a body contour where your forearm rests.
    The binding can dig in to the forearm causing discomfort while playing. Unless you get an un-bound one
    The neck profile will be different from your Jazz.
    As always - play it before you buy it. They are great sounding and looking basses as you know, but aren't for everyone.
    Eric66 likes this.
  8. KablesP

KablesP

Try a G&L L2000. Very versatile and I can get a Rick-ish tone out of mine with the active treble boost setting. Can also get quasi Jazz and P tones.
    Joe Kyle likes this.
  9. gary m

gary m

How about the model with the walnut wings (think it was called "Cimmaron" or "Dakota")...it appears to have gently rounded body edges in the pics I've seen.
  10. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

The "walnut wings" model you're thinking of would be the original 4004C Cheyenne, made from 1992 to 1999. They're fairly rare and coveted.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I would go with a PJ. Specifically, a G&L SB-2T.
  12. Fender2015

I've found the Sb2 but not sb 2t. Those appear to be only vintage?
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Rics are a funny thing, and apparently I'm one of the few people who has one and doesn't either love it completely or hate it completely. It has its own sound and feel through my amps, but it isn't the only bass I would want to have around.
    BoxcarWilbur and Joe Kyle like this.
  14. inate_hex

inate_hex

Have you played a Ric? I have and that totally put me off them.
  15. Bongolation

Bongolation

There's just so much craziness surrounding everything about Rickenbackers that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who didn't spend a bunch of time investigating it all beforehand. I've never seen anything like it.

And that's about as nicely as I can put it.
  16. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Love my Ric but it is way different than the Fender Jazz. It sounds great though and I have never had an issue with the binding on my forearm.

It is a different kind of bass. Wouldn't trade it for anything... except a double neck 4080/6. :)
  17. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I have one. I like it although it spends more time as wall decoration than anything else. If I already didn't own one since the mid 90's, would not buy one today. For me its a little cumbersome to play and I'm not crazy about the chunky neck. I prefer my Fender J and P's and my Ibby's over the Rick.

By all means, try one first.
  18. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

I've been playing bass for 11 years and I've had the same 4003 as my only bass for the past 7. We've been through a lot and had some bumps in the road but it's the only bass for me.
  19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

You gotta try one before you can know if you'll like it or not. Some people love them in advance and like them more when they try them, some like myself love em in advance but hate em when I lay my hands on them. Found one I like, but it doesn't have binding which is a big issue for me.
  20. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Nope. They're just special order. One of the guys on here that is a vendor has been special ordering them just recently.

Or you can take any SB-2 and add a Tone Control for about 20 bucks in parts and 20 minutes of labor/soldering. A tech would probably have to charge you for 1 hour labor, just as a minimum charge kind of thing. I added a Master Volume and Tone to mine myself and I love it even more now.
  21. woodyng

woodyng

I've had a few over the last 30 years...there is nothing that sounds like one,really. And i think most folks would be happier with them if they either got the s models,or the 4004 series,both of which are less plentiful. Whatever you get,be prepared to tinker to get the best from the basic platform. My 2 4004's are my favorite basses i've ever owned.
    Sidenote: although i did play an Alembic Essence recently that was very very impressive.