1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rickenbackers=perfect

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I just wanted to say how perfect Rickenbacker 4001/3's are to me. The way that the clean punch of the maple body and neck is compliments the warmth added by the rosewood fretboard, the flawless neck through construction, the thick, chocolaty neck pickup being really close to the neck but not getting in the way of fretting that last fret, the bright, gnarly bridge pickup placed right next to where the lower pickup half would be on a pbass(IMO the sweet spot for a bridge pickup), the curved body shape, and the fact that each pickup has it's own independent volume and tone control for even greater tone shaping. All of these things together create the classic Rickenbacker Growl.:)
  2. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I've only had the privelage to play a rick once and I loved it but they're not perfect.

Their one problem is they're too damn expensive.
  3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Never played one but they have a real classic look. Would love to try one some day.
  4. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

now here is some much needed rick love! and i do love ricks...last week i had the worst GAS in years for a black 4003 at Bass Northwest. thankfully i didn't buy it (i already have a 4003 for god's sake!) but it's still on my mind. from my own experience with ricks i'm all too aware of their imperfections, but they will always feel like home to me :)
  5. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I love mine. There's nothing quite like it.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love my Rics and none of them are perfect ...

I did modify them to make them better.
  7. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I'm a member of the Rickenbacker fan club for over 30 years. I love the sound and the feel - and their workmanship and materials are superb. I put the 4003 modification into my 4001 and the additional tonal flexibility made it even better. Long term satisfaction is the true test of an instrument and my Ric has passed with flying colors
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I go through phases. Sometimes all I want to play is my 4003, other times I want something else. But yeah it's a great bass, wouldn't want to be without it!
  9. rocmonster

rocmonster

Loved mine but haven't owned one for over 25 years. I like the feel of the new ones better than my original '79. My only gripe is that I find my one favorite sound (that Geddy-Hemispheres tone) and then can't get anything else useful. I don't know if it's the bass or me, but I can get every sound I need out of my Jazz.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman

I don't have one.

I sure do wish I did.

I had a 4001 back in the day.

Man, they sure are nice.
  11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

My first bass was a 4001 bought it new in 1979. probably my first big purchase that I ever worked for. Sold that one for a transmission rebuild that I needed. I never thought I would see another Ric in my hands, but in 2011 (I think it was), I could not resist the MF Blowout for new 4003's. I got a flawless Midnight Blue. I can get a fantastic deep sound out of it.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I've been playing Rickenbackers for 40 years, they must be doing something right! :bassist:
  13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

I'll throw in on the Ric love; it's been my go-to for everything since I got it 2+ years ago. No GAS for any other bass since then. Hoping that stays the same :D
  14. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

RICS RULE!!!

(My avatar speaks for itself!)
  15. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

16. K2000

K2000 Supporting Member

As a player, I'm not really a fan (the string spacing throws me, for one thing) but I was wondering:

What give the Rick that rubbery "boing" sound that seems to be characteristic? (I do like the sound of Ricks, just not the right bass for me personally). Where does that come from, and what is it... a type of filtering that comes from the pickups?
  17. Sartori

Sartori

Rickenbackers are basically perfect for my hands. A 21st fret would be nice, too.

Besides that, though, I'm pretty content with mine. Except I only have the one. I'd like another one, to put in BEAD tuning. Actually, I'd like a couple more, as a fretless would be good to have as well. And an eight string.

This could get out of control pretty fast.
  18. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

but you can bend it up to a 21st :hyper:
  19. eukatheude

eukatheude

Love 'em. Played a few but never owned one (yet). IMO they are a bit overpriced though, at least in the EU. And not having 24 frets is a problem for me, though i realise there's nothing to do about that, short of putting a pup in the neck.
  20. Sartori

Sartori

I'd rather not have to in order to get that high E.