Ricky value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2behead, Nov 24, 2013.

1. 2behead

2behead

It seems that a new rick is around $14-1500. A new usa fender is around that as well. Why is it that I see USA fenders in the $600-$800 range all day long and used rick? $13-1400!? I'm fading for a rick but am baffled at the used price. Further more a lot Fenders get played into the ground and and most ricks look like under the bed beauty queens. Is it a better finish? Do people buy them just to "have" them? Not trolling. Like I said. I want one. I want to play the snot outa it. What are your thoughts? Am I wAy off on my new pricing?
  2. tminus10

tminus10 Supporting Member

A new Rick is somewhere around 1900 IIRC. A new Fender American Standard is 1250
  3. 2behead

2behead

Really, that makes more sense. Why was I thinking $1400? I'm going crazy.
  4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

There are lots of Rics around, but not as many as the Fenders. That probably contributes too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There are an absolute zillion Fender basses out there. USA Fenders, Mexican Fenders, Japanese Fenders, Chinese Squiers, Indonesian Squiers, Japanese Squiers, and a seemingly infinite number of Fender clones. Arrayed against this are USA Rickenbackers. Period.

Supply and demand.
  7. 2behead

2behead

Top of the line or nothing. All good points. I didn't think about the fact that they don't offer a " squier" I guess I'm just bummed I have to save that much. And, I hate having shinny basses. I worry about messing them up. Don't get me wrong , I don't abuse them. But I like not worrying about little scratches and dings. If they have a bit of a story when I get them I can relax and just play. People seem to baby ricks.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Saving for one will be well worth it, plus used one save you some money; as you have noticed, Ricks tend to hold their value much better than a Fender, something to consider. ;)

There are plenty of Ricks out there with great mojo, but they do tend to look better overall because of the finish they use vs. most Fenders.
  9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I do protect my rick more then most Fenders I have owned and its because I can grab a fender anywhere, it took me ordering 2 ricks to get a good one as they don't sell them new anywhere close to me. There also harder to repair, I cant just slap a new neck on it.

That said keep looking for a used one. I live in a TINY town and I never thought a rick would pop up on craigslist and one day I got a 1990 4003 with a amp and case for $900. I sold the amp for $120 and had a rick/case for $780. Sure it was a little worn but nothing drastic.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Paying $1,500-$1,800 for a bass makes you respect the instrument more. Back in the mid-90's you could buy 4003's for $400 all day long. Not anymore.
  11. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I've seen some Rics that were very worn down. Those guys had them for many years and put a lot of miles on them.
  12. Sartori

Sartori

Some brands and models hold their value more than others do. This is true of all kinds of products.
  13. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Most sellers are offering the 4003 at the $1800 price point, but last I checked you could still find em for $1500-1600 if you beat the bushes hard enough.

As for the used market, I think some sellers are just willing to have em sit out there for a while, to try and get close to the new price as possible. And I think that some are just misinformed, and think that if a 4001 (all vintage at this point) goes for something in the neighborhood of $2500, that a 4003 should, too. Personally, I wouldn't pay over $1400 for a dead mint used 4003, unless maybe it came with a vintage case.

What I can't figure out is how anyone figures that a stripped out 4003 body is worth $800, regardless of condition. Anybody that would buy one of those ain't too good at math. OEM hardware is about $1000 and a used truss cover and jack plate (with a serial number for some other instrument) will run you $400 more. Even if you buy a new one at the top of the market, it's cheaper than putting one of these back together.
  14. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I regularly use my 1972 4001 Rick. I purchased it new 41 years ago this past September. One thing that it has not been is "babied". though I do clean it, and keep a protective coat of wax on it, and give it a quick 2 or 3 minute cleaning at the end of the night before putting it back in it's case. There are a few nicks here and there, and a small belt buckle rash on the back, that's about it.

[​IMG]

I also recently purchased a 1989 Rick 2030. It's nearly like new.
    A bass guitar is a number of things, it's an instrument, a tool, and in some cases, an investment that can be subject to heavy use. Taking 2 or 3 minutes at the end of a nights work to rub it down with a soft cloth isn't hard, can usually be done while BS'ing with everyone, and pays you dividends; appreciation of your investment. Play it hard, I used to when it was newer. Now I play it however I please, I just invest 2 minutes a night to make sure it's at it's peak when I need it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Most people seem to, but I have seen some completely thrashed Rics, too. I don't treat mine as casually as I treat the P, but it got its first headstock nick a week ago. It's a 1998, and it had the original strings and needed a setup when I got it, so I guess it spent its life in its case. You can't baby anything much more than that. It won't get babied so much any more.
  16. kcole4001

kcole4001

The major dealers will sell you a 4003 in the $1600 range, and this includes inspection and setup.
    Anyone who thinks a used 4003 should go for more than $1200-1400 is nuts unless it's basically still new, IE: unplayed.

As far as 4001s go the ones that collectors snap up are from early 1973 and before, all having quite different features: checkered binding, old style full width inlays, super thin necks.
    These were produced in much more limited quantities than from around 1974 on, so they're relatively rare as well, that's the reason for higher prices on the older basses, but a mid 1970s and up 4001 or 1980s and up 4003 shouldn't be valued at anything more than $1200-1400 again, unless it's a rare special model or finish.

If you just want a Rick you can play the heck out of, you're better off saving and buying new from one of the big dealers.
  17. 2behead

2behead

A friend of mine from out of state just got a hold of me and a acquaintance of his is selling a vintage Rick for $300!!!!!! He said it looks like it was used as a boat anchor but it plays great. There is a very slight neck twist, but he said that it is visibly negligible and it mite just be a truss rod adjustment
  18. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

I sold an all original black '79 4001 in good condition (lots of buckle rash) earlier this year for $1900. ~$1400 is closer to what '80s models sell for, but the mid-late '70s still go for more than that.
  19. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Did the finger rest on your '72 come standard, or is it something that was added? Very nice. :cool:
  20. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Finger rests ("tug bar") were standard on Rick basses until sometime in 1972-73.