RIFF2 of 20 Bass Shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohanSegeborn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi!

This is part 2 of 7 of the 20 basses comparison series! In part 2 I play the same riff on all basses using a pick and the neck pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyuMP1p5rI8&list=PLNlJ80zuyO61SqUVrPN7-qTvtkCh8O9WG

Do you think that the same basses performs well here as in the first clip?

The basses are:

20. Burns - Hank Marvin, Shadows Bass
    19. ESP - Vintage Four J/P Bass
    18. Gibson - Les Paul Bass, 2013
    17. Yamaha - BB414 (signed by the great Marco Mendoza)
    16. Ibanez - SR500
    15. Fender - Jaguar, 2013
    14. Fender - Jazz Bass, American Standard, 2014
    13. Fender - Starcaster, 2013
    12. Squire - 1951 P-Bass, Precision
    11. Fender - P-Bass American Standard, 2014
    10. Fender - P-Bass, Precision 1973
    9. Gibson - RD Krist Novocelic, 2013
    8. Gibson - EB13, 2013
    7. Gretsch - Electromatic G5440SLB, 2013
    6. Gibson -Ripper, 1974
    5. Epiphone - Thunderbird, T-bird 2013
    4. Gibson - Thunderbird, 2010
    3. Gibson - EB2, 1965
    2. Rickenbacker - 4003, 2013
    1. Stagg - EB3, 1970s

Cheers!
    Johan

2. Systolic

Systolic

Nicely done of course!

My vote for Best: Ric, Ripper

My vote for Worst: Starcaster and Les Paul

3. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Wow, I can't get over how to my ears the Ric just continues to dominate these shootouts! Again, the EB2 had a beautiful creaminess to it that wouldn't fit all the time but would be a dream come true for some songs and settings. The Gibson RD sounded impressive, as did the EB13. But for Riff #2, the silver and bronze from me go to the Yamaha and the Squier. I know how good Squier is and can be so I'm not that surprised, but I've never played a Yamaha before…after this shootout, you had better believe I'm going to find one to try. If they feel and play half as good as they sound, I just may pick one up.

Ric for the gold though! It sounds amazing again and again!

4. Splods

Splods

Gold: Ric
    Silver: Stagg
    Bronze: EB13

Interesting because I own no Gibson style basses, and don't like rics that much

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I can't decide which I like best! Augh!! :bawl: But the Rick sounded nice, as did the 2014 Fender Precision. Ironically, I'm more of a Jazz-man. Go fig!

What I can say for certain, Johan, is that I loved Riff #2. It reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movie themes composed by some dudes named John and Alan.
    (y'know, before Carpenter started making crap-films like "Escape From L.A." and "Ghosts of Mars") :ninja:

Which just goes to show how subjective "The Best" is. To my ears, the Yamaha sounded a little too…I dunno, "tinny" is the best word I can think of…for my tastes, and not only on #2, but both riffs. Different strokes for different folks, yes?

7. thedane

thedane

I feel the same:

Gold: Ric
    Silver: Stagg
    Bronze: EB13

+1

8. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

My choices are. For this riff I think the Ripper sounds killer. The Rick is a close second.

Gold: Gibson -Ripper, 1974
    Silver: Rickenbacker - 4003, 2013
    Bronze: Fender - P-Bass American Standard, 2014

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I liked them all that time except the Les Paul and the Burns. Loved the Burns in the first batch, but just didn't get it for me this time.

10. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

1: Ric
    2: Gibson EB something 2013
    3: Gibson SG Bass (the first on the video)

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

What a cool video thanks so much for sharing it. I loved the Ric also and to my ears the Gibsons and Epiphones were pretty equal or should I say I didn't hear a $1000.00 difference in the Gibson and I'll challenge anyone to take a blind test between that Squire - 1951 P-Bass, Precision and the Fender - P-Bass American Standard, 2014. I think my least favorites were the Gretsch - Electromatic G5440SLB, 2013 and the Gibson - Les Paul Bass, 2013

12. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Would love to hear Ric 4004 in one of these sometime.

13. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Anyway to add a Musicman to your videos? Other than that my guitarist and I both love your two vids.

14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Wow, another great shoot out. I don't play with a pic much but I might have to start doing more of it, nearly all those clips sounded fantastic. Every one of them sounded even better than the finger playing. It was much harder to single out the best one in this round but my top 3 favorites were the Gibson EB13, Epi Tbird and the Ric. They all seemed to have a much more complex tone with strong fundamentals and sweet resonance and sustain. The red Fender Am Std 2014 Pbass was a close 4th place and the best sounding of the Fender bunch.

Numbers 3, 4, 7, 10, 13 and 15 were not as good sounding to me as the rest and my least favorites were the Gretsch and the flatwound Precision.

The Les Paul sounded like it had a lot of overdrive going on. Are the pickups exceptionally hot on that one?

So, the white Epi Tbird was at the top my list in the first shoot out and it remained there on this round as well. :eek:I'm starting to GAS for a bird.

I can't wait for the next shootout in the series!:hyper:

15. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks! Yeah, the Epi T was quite a surprise. Great value. But the Gibson has a somewhat more aggressive deeper sound.

Yeah, the Les Paul pickups were very hot. I Should have backed of the volume a bit there but i liked it so much that I kept it. Very Gene Simmons 1975!

Cheers!
    Johan

16. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I really liked that you used a pick & round wound strings - it makes their sounds so much clearer, and easier to define - thanks.

I still liked the Ibby SR, and in no special order I also really liked the Stagg, Gibson Ripper, Gibson Krist Novocelic, Squire 51' P, and the Fender Std P.

The Squire really suprised me ... so did the Fender P.

17. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Glad to hear that. And yeah it certainly is high time for a Stingray. I'm a big fan of Tim Commerford and Flea.

Cheers!
    Johan

18. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks! Yeah the Starcaster is so dark compared to the other basses that it would need som other settings. It sounds great acoustically. But I agree, with standard settings it performed poorly (or made me perform poorly.. :)

Cheers!
    Johan

19. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks, yeah pick and roundwounds makes it sound like a piano at least P-Basses I think. Which is good. I was surprised how much bass most of them retained with a pick though. With full tone and a pick the P basses may loose some bottom end (That was one of John Entwistles objections to the P, since his sound is both bright and bottomheavy.)

Cheers!
    Johan

20. BassHappy

BassHappy

Briarcliff Manor, New York via Fort Wayne, Indiana
    No one else noticed the lack of sustain ie: deadspots here and there?

Might I point out the Rickenbacker at 33.25" is not full scale.

Pretty interesting indeed.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I heard some basses that had more sustain than others. Not sure I heard dead spots.

That Squier 51 sounds fantastic.