Rig overhaul help.....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by OB311, Feb 12, 2013.

1. OB311

OB311

Alright check this out...

After a year of research and pondering, I've constructed my rig...Hartke HA5000, 4.5Xl cab on top of a 115Xl cab. Love the tone, punch....all of that. I'm having problems with the head, bi-amp button is all kinds of f***ed up. Sometimes I get a crackle on attack of any note, sometimes really poor output of the 4.5Xl, sometimes everything is fine.

New research indicates that I have very few options when it comes to bi-amped heads (which I like because it sounds great and it tends to quiet the "phase issue" nazis). I really like the simplicity of the Hartke LH1000, and it's bi-amped. Here is the issue, my 115Xl is only rated for 200W, even at 8 ohms I'm going to send to much power.

So here's the question: Can I change the speaker on the 115Xl and increase the wattage of the cabinet? or are there other components that would have to be changed also? Can I even get a higher wattage 15in speaker from Hartke? (other than a hydrive speaker)

2. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

You certainly could increase the power handling with a new speaker. But, you say you love your tone, punch, all of that; you could very easy fubar all that you love with a speaker change.

Plus, that speaker better match the cab pretty perfectly, or it may become the lousiest sounding new rig you've ever created.

3. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

You also mention "crackle on the attack of any note." Wondering if that could be dirty pots on the amp or guitar? You might De-Oxit some of those pots and try it again.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

A true "bi-amp" capable head will have an adjustable crossover to send only certain frequencies to the 2nd cab. The LH1000 is pretty much just two LH500s in the same box.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OB311

OB311

:) Sweeeeeet!

Seriously though, what if i just increased the power to handle what the amp is sending?
    All I need is another 25W....

7. OB311

OB311

I think it's a dirty bi-amp button, it changes "problems" when you push it in and out a few times.