Rig Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eon Sky, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Eon Sky

Eon Sky

Hey everyone.

I come to you seeking advice and guidance, and will do everything in my power to not make this an incredibly long post.

I am in need of a new head, and I'm not sure where to turn. I've browsed the forums, done the research, and ultimately I think it's time to ask my peers.

My current setup is an Ashdown Mag 300, which is hooked up to an Avatar 2X10 and an SWR Workingman 1X15. My pedal board consists of a Sansamp DI, and a tuner. The Ashdown is beginning to give up the ghost, after close to 10 years of active duty. I spent less than $300 on it on eBay, and I do view repairing it as a valid option, if it's a viable one.

My band's style of music is a harder alternative. Sound wise I would compare us to Deftones or A Perfect Circle. My main bass is a Squier VM Jaguar bass with the P/J configuration. I use my fingers.

$300 is about my price range at the moment. If it's determined that I do need to make it work and save some more, I can do that as well. But in looking at that price point, I see some lower end options, including the Ampeg Micro VR. My town is a decent size, but Craigslist doesn't really yield much fruit in the bass head area, so it's new or Ebay. I'm comfortable with both.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. And I appreciate your time in reading this.
  2. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

I own a micro VR for an at home rig. My big rig is at the rehearsal space.

I will say, that I have seen some bands use the micro VR driving an Ampeg 8x10 and it holds up very well. When I still had an 810, I hooked it up a few times to that, and since I got my GK Neo 412, I've hooked it up there as well.

Doesn't have nearly the clean head room of bigger amps, but it pushes more than enough for a decent sized club with those cabinets. I would assume a 210/115 setup like yours would work just the same.

Nice thing is, if you're playing stuff like the deftones (one of my favorites ever), you can get away with the breakup that will come if you really push that VR. I fully endorse it's tone personally.

If you need something more powerful, you can find some GK 700RB's for around $300 sometimes. That will give you a lot more headroom. I'm sure there are others, but that's what I would look for in that price range and your style of music.

One last thing, guitar center has a used website that lists all the used gear across the country. Phone numbers of the stores are listed with the item. You can always find some buys there if you look hard enough.

used.guitarcenter.com

Hope this helps!
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to echo bray on this, a GK 700rb would be a wide choice and could be had rather inexpensively on the used market. They're really great amps and are more than powerful enough drive what you have. Plus, the music you play, which I'm very partial to as well (deftones are one of my fav all time bands as well) will help you get that tone/sound you're after. Me, that's what I'd go for if I were you. I rock the 1001rb into a Neo 410 and it's a great rig. Plenty of power, headroom and tone for days. The EQ and voicing options on these GK heads are very nice to have at your fingertips too.
  4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

+1 on the GK 700RB if you can score one used.

Another amp you might like would be a used GK 800RB.
    They usually pop up on TB classifieds from time to time for $300 or less.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you go Ampeg new, I might recommend getting the PF350 instead. It's $300, sounds like the Micro VR but has 350w instead of 200.
  7. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Agreed. Forgot about that one. Same preamp circuit I believe.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes sir, same preamp.
  9. Eon Sky

Eon Sky

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I completely overlooked the idea of the classifieds on here.