1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Right amp, not being for rock.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by steve5224, Feb 4, 2013.

1. steve5224

steve5224

So i play in a church band we dont play any rock because its all in spanish. So what i notice is that some amps sound and go better with the rock category. Im looking for a very natural sound and punchy. Any suggestions or ideas? That would help! Thanks!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What are your volume, size, and budget requirements?

There are a ton of options out there, just need something to narrow down those options.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't believe in any of that genre stuff. Ampeg is often considered a rock-only amp by those who believe in such illusions ;) and I've used them for funk, R&B, disco, jazz, swing, doo wop, whatever. You plug into any decent rig and you should be able to get a good and appropriate sound for whatever genre you play. If not, I ain't blaming the amp ;)
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you looking for an amp or a combo?
  5. Mykk

Mykk

When I opened for Ozomatli a few weeks ago (A latin, hip hop, rock, funk) their bassists was playing a Modulus through an Aguilar head and cab. The sound was very suiting for the genre, something to look into.

I do also agree with this, I use my Mesa M-2000 in a 90's cover band, a prog metal band, an experimental electro-rock band and a dance-pop electro band :
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I'm with Jimmy...a great amp is a great amp...I've played bluegrass on an SVT and punk rock on a Genz. It's just a matter of which amp trips your trigger :)
  7. Revolver

Revolver

Huh? . . . are you implying that one cannot 'rock' in Spanish?!?! Well, there's plenty of rock music in Spanish . . . as well as in German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, etc, etc, etc . . .

Odd . . .
  8. Cadfael

Cadfael

Is the church made of stone (like European Churches)???
    I once played in a (German) church with my Roland 100 watts CUBE. The 30 watts version would also have been loud enough ...

In a church you always have to slow down or you get in trouble ...
    I would recommend the Ibanez Promethean 3100 combo! Even the 110" should be "noisy" enough in a church. If needed, you can add a 8 Ohms extension cab (playing outside). And don't think, that a 110 can't be punchy!

The Genz Benz Shuttle amps were already "too natural" for me. These are amps for "special plays" and not the majority (even though they are very good).
  9. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Can't rock en espanol??? Oye como huh?!?!?
  10. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    I don't think the spirit of this post has anything to do with whether one can 'rock' in another language...dude just doesn't play rock and happens to do Spanish worship music.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Any amp can work for any genre.

I was wondering the same thing.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    But Eden is the preferred brand for church. And Godlyke basses, too.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:D
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I totally agree with the "any amp will work in any genre" camp. The style of music you play has no real bearing on the amp you choose. Some amps will push into a good grind if that's what you want, and some will stay clean all the way through. Many good choices for either, but a budget and volume requirements are needed before any suggestions can be made.
  15. chadds

chadds

I almost missed that. Very Funny! :):)
  16. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Altec speakers to go with the Eden bass amps and Godlyke basses, because they are the voice of God:
    [​IMG]
    Conveniently mounted on high, so as to as to avoid the ingress of serpents. (NB. can be a big problem with ported cabinets in certain parishes in Spanish speaking areas of the US):D:bassist:
  17. Cadfael

Cadfael

As I wrote ...
    It matters if it is a "European style stone church" or others ...
    These "European style churches" were styled 1000 years before the invention of the microphone! 35 years you I played a 10 watts Peavey Decade in a 750 y.o. church and it was hard to get this practise amp as quiet as required ...

I think the less air the amp moves, the better the sound. The body of the church itself adds the full sound. And in a church the bass should not add very deep frequencies to the singers but mainly stress the upper middle frequencies plus a bit of punch.

I would look for a "small amp" which can be extended by a cab (for out-of-church-use).

- - - -

If you try to buy buy an amp in a "church equipment store", they will surely tell you: "Sorry, we are out of Eden ..." :D
    And be carefull! Schecter Hellraiser basses are forbidden in church! :smug:
  18. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Not to be too crabby BUT

The OP is a 20 year old kid who just joined TB and wants to learn about amps.

I know a lot of bass players who won't go near TB for this very reason...they start posting in an effort to learn something and get ridiculed and their threads turn into other people's joke threads.

I love me some clowning around, but I kinda feel bad for this kid...sayin' :)
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Word, although I did get a chuckle at the Eden and Godlyke references ;)