right bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimdonovan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jimdonovan

jimdonovan

hello, I haven't been playing bass that long. I need advice on which amp head to buy. I have 2 cabinets. One is the hartke xl series 4.5 4x10 cabinet, which is newer, rated at 400w at 8ohm. The other is an older hartke transporter 1x15 also rated at 8ohm. Can some one suggest a decent amp to power those cabinets? I was thinking about the ampeg pf-500. I tried it but it doesn't seem to give those cabinets very much volume. Is there a better amp to power those cabinets? I have a musicman stingray active 4 string bass. if that helps.
  2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

I kinda felt the same way with the Ampeg PF-500 until I messed with the EQ a little.
    If your looking for more power, try an Ampeg PF800 or GK MB800.

What type of music do you play? If you give us an idea, we can probably help with what amp can get you close to the tone you like.
  3. jfn77

jfn77

Are you going to drive both those cabinets at once? That's quite a mismatched combination, not only because of the huge difference in cone area, but also because the 115 handles only 150 watts while the 410 is rated for 400 watts. Anyway a 800 series micro head could be overkill even for the single 410, pushing 500 watts to 8 ohms, so one might want to be careful. :)

I haven't tried the PF-500, but it SHOULD be quite loud though...
  4. jimdonovan

jimdonovan

I play in 2 bands, one is a social d type of punk rock, and one is similar to dead milkmen I was thinking of going w just the 4.5 hartke cab since they do seem to be mismatched. Haven't had a chance to try that yet. I've read similar complaints from other bassist who use the pf-500. If I still want the use a 1x15 cab along with the 4x10 cab, should I get a 1x15 that is more compatible with the 4x10/
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alexander

Alexander

Hartke heads are awesome and quite reasonable
  7. Cirk

Cirk

If you want to run 2 cabs, your best bet is to find another 4x10 Hartke XL.

+1 for the Hartke amp. Nice gear, and their CS is tops. Larry Hartke is also a member here. Great guy.
  8. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

Maybe a Gallien Krueger 800rb? It was once very common to pair the 800rb with a 4x10 Hartke and should be all you need. But if you decide you do want to use the 115 as well, the the 800rb has a "hi amp" that is rated for 100 watts and a "lo amp" that is rated at 300 watts. Which would solve the unmatched cab issue. You could run the 4x10 off of the lo and the 15 off of the hi amp. The crossover might be strange sending your hi frequencies to the 15 though, but you have the option to run it in full range so the full spectrum of your tone goes to both cabs.
  9. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

4X10 + 1X15 is a bad combo
  10. joel406

joel406

I have the exact same cabinets you do. The 4.5 and the 115. When I used them together the 15 boomed way to much. Went and got another XL 410. Much better match. I think I was overdriving the 15. I use a Hartke HA 7000 head. Its bi-ampable but I prefer running it mono. Ditch the 15 and get another 410. get a Hartke head and you'll be fine.