Right Hand finger picking technique help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Harris2016, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Harris2016

Harris2016

Greetings all,

I've been playing for 5 years and I do enjoy playing bass.
    People have said that I'm a great player (though I deny it…i'm really pessimistic), but I have many flaws and one of them is my right hand technique. Its not really 'consistant', as in if I have to skip strings I use the same finger I used picking the note before the string change. I find that sometimes I have to start certain passages with my index finger when skipping strings because I mess up when I try it with the left. I was wondering if anyone could recommend practices that can help me correct this problem. I want to be consistent with my index and middle fingers and not have to rely on my index all the time when playing parts that involve skipping strings.

Cheers,
    - Harris

2. vin*tone

vin*tone

When playing lines with string skipping I find I tend to lead with the first and third fingers. It makes jumps a lot smoother.

Not sure if that helps.

3. Precision101

Precision101

When I started to play I couldn't pluck for my life now I can do any kind of jump possible. Try doing quarter notes back and forth between your index-middle fingers and go from each string to the next with a metronome, then eights, then if your feeling good try sixteenths. It's just a matter of time to get it down. "literally"

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Your problem is with where you want to put the emphasis on any strong beat or find the one.
    Develop a strictly alternating use of your fore and middle finger and learn to play any time by being strictly alternating.
    This will involve learning to let your fingers play independant of what you think, so what you expect to feel. What you expect is to keep the dominant finger with the dominant beat or feel.

Using this technique play simple scales studies, triads and arpeggios with a 3/4 feel.
    So if you play a C scale, C D E F G A B C you give each note 3 strikes, this means you have to lead with alternating fingers each time you change to a new note, CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG AAA BBB CCC.
    When you do the triads and arpeggios you are introducing string crossing options now.

Start slow and make sure the fingers strictly alternate so you get the feeling of either finger leading. Find some music that is not 4/4 based and learn to play it strictly alternating.
    The great thing about this is a lot of music is 4/4 based, so getting the basics of an odd numbered meter and combining it with an even numbered meter will help you deal with compound meters better when you encouter them. :)

5. Register to disable this ad