right hand placement?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by varozerolf, Feb 13, 2013.

1. varozerolf

varozerolf

i have been playing bass for a year and it does not feel right when i pluck with my fingers i think i am using too much of my finger give me some tips on placement? would be greatly appreciated:bassist:

2. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Might help if we knew how your hand was positioned..

3. varozerolf

varozerolf

just give me the best position

4. George Mann

George Mann

The best position is what is best for you. What kind of strings are you using?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Wow George. You really shamed me. All I could think of were obnoxious responses for that softball pitch...;)

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Marilynsghost.com Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My imagination produced an answer that is not fit to print :)

8. Olmesy

Olmesy

I found that the best hand placement is to keep the thumb resting on the pickups (though some people prefer to rest it on the strings)
    Then with your fingers, trying cutting the fingernails ridiculously short and just flicking them across the strings. As long as you've got a loud enough amp, you'll never need to put too much force on the strings

9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Says it all in the link.

10. fearceol

fearceol

A slightly aggressive response IMO. Sometimes in order to give the best advice, a picture or clip of you playing can help. The "best" position can be completely different from person to person.

A little courtesy will go a long way here on TB. :)

Anyway, here are some clips that might be helpful.

11. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

If we remember this is an International forum and English with all its subtleties is not always going to be an OPs first language.
    The directness of the language is very common to most people where English is the second language......they blunt it down.....so it will sound blunt, but hey it's a big world.:)

12. fearceol

fearceol

Fair enough Fergie. I accept your point.

OP, my apologies if I misinterpreted your words. :)

13. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Well you could try the tried and true 'missionary' position where your hand is positioned over the strings and plucking downward. Then there is the 'cowboy' position where you pluck upward from under the strings. It's really a personal preference, but either way you should concentrate on using all of the finger and not just the tip.

14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Thumb resting on neck pickup for E string work. Then rest thumb on E string for A string work. rest on A string for d string work. Then rest thumb on D string for G string work. alternate back & Forth as needed.

15. ersheff

ersheff

I was getting pain in both of my wrists last year when I picked the bass back up after a long playing hiatus.
    The dude with that red P-bass in one of the videos that has already been linked to informed me a great deal about my left-hand technique. (I love his attitude, too- "F*** it, whatever works and doesn't hurt you.")
    For right-hand, there was another video I saw that I'm not able to find now. Basically, the guy said to keep your right elbow out a bit so that your wrist is not at an angle. This puts a little more stress on your shoulder, but it's a bigger muscle group, and you'll get used to it.
    Same video also talked about the anchoring thing.
    I've been forcing myself to practice some with my thumb not resting on ANYTHING. It's pretty hard to do at first, because your fingers no longer have any leverage to push against. But the good thing about this is that it trains you not to push in with your thumb so hard (on the pickup, string, whatever) and relax more. Now, my thumb floats about pretty freely, and when I "anchor" it on something, it's merely resting there, not "pushing". The added bonus to this, aside from reducing strain on my right wrist, is that I have much more flexibility with hand position in regards to tone. I used to play exclusively over the neck pickup on my jazz bass, but now I find that I really like the sound just a bit farther towards the bridge (still closer to the neck pickup overall, but in between the 2 pickups).