Right hand technique

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by melodiaopus, Aug 6, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

I have been watching your newest free lessons that you sent out via email over the past few weeks. I have been really trying to develop a comfortable right hand position and I feel that you're right hand seems to be the most stress resitant than other types of styles. It looks like you encorporate a floating anchor when you play. Do you recommend any kind of exercises that can help me develop the way your right hand technique is working. I have tried the floating thumb technique, the Jaco full hand muting technique, but all of them don't feel as nice as your right hand positioning.

Let me know,

-Adam

2. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    Adam,

I don't think about the right hand technique improvement in terms of doing specific exercises for it. I've just been very conscious in the past about what was comfortable for me and what wasn't.

So my suggestion is to play any of the exercises you're already playing, but slow them way down, and really pay attention to what is most fluid with your right hand. Everyone is so completely different when it comes to what feels right in our playing, that there's no way I could tell you an absolute way to accomplish something.

My concept is work on what feels right. This is going to mean trying lots of different things of course, and also copying other musicians. It's very simple for instance, to just watch the video of me playing online and copy the same positioning of the right hand, an then try and play some of your material while copying the position.

Janek

3. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Thanks Janek,

So how did you fumble through your development of finding what was most comfortable for you? I have a lot of trouble using the technique you use on your right hand with string skipping. Especially on tunes that go from the A-string to the G-string and then back to A-string. A prime example would be "Come On, Come Over" Or "River People" by Weather Report and Jaco Pastorius.

Just trying to get a sense of what brought you to your current right hand position.

-Adam