Right handed basses strung upside down?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anarchicdye, Mar 10, 2014.

1. anarchicdye

anarchicdye

Hey all, I'm a left handed bassist, and recently I've been considering switching from my brandless to a better bass.

The problem is, left handed basses are mostly very expensive and uncommon in my country, so I experimented with playing a righty bass upside down, but the knobs were getting in the way. I've looked up a few bassists that play bass upside down but somehow all of their knobs were on the other side. Is this a problem that I just have to overcome, or is there another way to handle it?

2. cronker

cronker

Hi
    As a fellow lefty, been there done that.
    Please, please, for your own sanity invest in a lefty instrument.
    Apart from the knobs rubbing your forearm to minced meat, and your continually changing tone and volume as your red-raw steak forearm plays notes, think about:

The nut is upside down
    You will need to remove your strap button and screw it into the lower horn
    The tuning pegs turn the wrong way
    The string tree is on the wrong string
    The pick guard is useless
    Intonation on your bridge will need adjustment
    The jack socket will impede your elbow, you will break jacks
    The side dots are on the wrong side
    All your volume, tone control knobs etc will work against your natural instinct.
    And finally

You will look stupid.

Just buy a lefty, pleading!!

3. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Have you tried playing right handed?

I have a left handed friend who plays acoustic guitar right handed. I asked him about it and his answer was "everybody I knew that played, played right handed so I did it that way too".

4. Reddog01

Reddog01

It seems to me that the cost of modifying the right-handed bass to the left would offset the price difference between a right-handed and left-handed bass. Am I wrong on this? Also, if you are in a constant fight with your bass, you will never want to play it. The Good Lord made you a lefty, so go with it, and buy what fits for you.

5. Register to disable this ad