1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

right to left or left to right?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rjovin, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rjovin

rjovin

i'm just curious, what side do you plug your bass into your pedalboard? me, i go from my bass to the input of the first pedal on the right side of my board then out of the last pedal on the left side of my board to my amp.

2. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Same for me. It's more convenient to me.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Considering most players play a standard 'right handed' bass, and nearly all pedals go from right to left, nearly everyone will be the same.

Plugging into the left hand side the board only makes sense if you're playing a left handed bass unless you want a cable dangling right across your feet!

4. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

It would be a rare occurrence to see it left to right with the way of the side inputs and outputs of the pedals. Unless you had all top ins and outs then maybe

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
  7. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

I've always hated that pedals plugged in from right to left. For whatever reason the way I set up my gear, or where I set up on stage it was always easier to go left to right. I ended up opening up all of my pedals and reversing the jacks. It was great!

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Aye

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Right to left.

I've only ever had a few pedals that have jacks going from left to right. It's annoying.

10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

11. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

For all the reasons stated above, I go right to left. And also for those reasons, I have no idea what the designers of Eventide's Factor Series were thinking.

12. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

Right to left my bro. I never even thought of doing it any other way, tho I suppose a lefty may consider it for convenience.

13. JensCambre

JensCambre

Right to left, but my bass is plugged straight into my amp. my pedalboard is plugged into the effects loop of my amp. I find that this gives me a much beter tone.

14. russpurdy

russpurdy

I have plugged into the middle of my pedalboard before when I was running my M5 with top mounted jacks first in the chain (for the whammy pedal function). For space reasons I had the m5 in the middle of the board. Otherwise, with side jack pedals it would be pretty ridiculous to try and plug into anything that wasn't on the far right.

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I plug my bass into the right side of the first pedal and it goes out the last pedals left side (output). Works well. I find the better question for me would be how do you snake your chain? I go from right to left starting at the bottom left when I run into the last pedal on the bottom left, I run a long patch up to the top right and go across from there. Ive seen others do it different ways but I would like to know how others are running their chains because maybe I can do it a better way....

16. Adamixoye

Not to derail the topic too much, but do people put their expression pedals on the right or left? I put mine on the left for Tetris/cable length reasons, but I would prefer to have it on the right (to use with my right foot) if I could magically make it work out that way.

17. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    always right to left for me, it'd be very odd for me to do the other way

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Curiously, why does almost every multifx unit go left to right?

PS, as far as 'snaking' my chain goes, always on effect go on the top row of my board, ones I kick in and out on the bottom row.

19. Adamixoye

I start at the top right and then kind of wiggle my way down on the right side in kind of a big loop before heading back to the top and then mostly across the top, going down again a little bit on the left side before finishing on the top. The gaps in my board (at least one of which is reserved for something) are on the bottom left and sort of the middle; controllers (bypass switch, auxiliary controllers, expression knob, expression pedal) which are not part of the "chain" are also in some of these locations.

Overall, my board layout is a compromise of Tetris fitting, intended signal chain, available cables, and preferred switch accessibility. But it's mostly laid out in a way I'm happy with.

20. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I got one of those pedalboard patchbays from loop-master so I go, right to right? haha
    I am the same as Adamixoye to a certain extent, my pedalboard is arranged to accessibilty and tetris fitting too!

21. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    Right to left here. Kinda hard to get away from that flow considering the majority of in/out jacks on pedals these days.