1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ring modulators

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hey everybody, this weekend I was planning on ordering the Way Huge Ringworm. The past few days I have been hearing alot about the Ring Thing by EHX. Both of these pedals have demos with guitar on youtube but it seems to be quite difficult to find somebody showcasing them with bass. That being said i've come here to seek out people with personal experience with the pedals. Should I stick with my original thought and get the ringworm or is the ring thing worth my consideration? Open to all thoughts/experience anyone has or has had with these 2 pedals. Thanks everybody!
  2. MADChuudoku

MADChuudoku

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roland/Boss, Darkglass Electronics, Fuzzrocious
    what kind of ringmod sounds are you planning to use? i really enjoy my frostwave blue ringer V2 and i think the LFO on the moog one makes it really cool!

also the pigtronix mothership has a ring mod that tracks the pitch of the notes you play, whicb gives much more musical tones.

i just custom ordered a copilot FX broadcast with CV output to control the sweep on my frostwave
  3. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Honestly I will be using it more for a noisemaker than a very serious applicable musical use. My band has alot of room for psychedelic stuff like that and I wanted something I could get some really zaney sounds with.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Helio trope is zany on steriods in a 'roid rage way. It's not pretty.
  5. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

How about Moog's Ring Mod? Maybe not the best features but analog circuit and nice to have pots.
  6. wdinc01

wdinc01

I have not tried to Ring Thing, although I've been meaning to pick one up. I did have a Ringworm, which I sold because I found the carrier signal to be far too loud when I wasn't playing. The wave forms were really cool, though.

I would also consider the Montreal Assembly CA Ring Mod
    http://mtlasm.blogspot.com/p/ring-modulator.html

I have one, and the cool thing about it is that it can get fuzzy sounding, and you can purchase a light expression control, which I think sets up well for being noisy. Just wave it around to change the carrier.
  7. kevteop

kevteop

I currently only use sample rate reduction and bit crushing because they're easier to add in on-the-fly, but if I was going to add a full-on ring modulator I'd either want the Moog or the Frostwave Blue Ringer (if I could find one).
  8. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I hear the Ring Thing is pretty cool. I have a Pigtronix Mothership that is AWESOME!! If you're looking for straight ring mod then maybe look elsewhere( ring thing, randys revenge). The mothership has Tons of Tonez in it!! The sub octave and synth make it a knob tweekers dream. The octave is one of the best I've heard. Like a smooth OC-2. If you happen to be looking for one, get at me. I might be coaxed into sell it...shameless plug :ninja: