1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

RIP KEV2007

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Paul2011, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Paul2011

Paul2011

Good evening,

I thought I'd post this in this sub-forum, as this was the home of KEV2007's most prolific thread. Back in 2010/2011 there was a Fretless 5 string build-off. KEV2007 participated, and his contribution is documented here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/fretless-5-comp-showcase-*@-$-cancer-bass-724916/

Kevin lost his battle today. He continued to work as a professional musician well into November 2012, and after 2+ years fighting cancer, finally entered palliative care in December.

I knew first hand how much the build-off meant to him as he started his fight against cancer. The support on this forum was as therapeutic and beneficial as anything offered by modern oncology.

Anyway.....as a life long friend of KEV2007, I wanted to thank the folks at TalkBass that supported and encouraged KEV2007 during the building process.

If anyone feels the need to act, I'd like to suggest two things you can easily do.

1) Give blood. More than once KEV2007 required blood and blood products as part of the treatment for his cancer, and the associated complications.

2) Talk to the local palliative ward or end of life hospice, and offer your talents. 30 minutes of live music can go a long way to add some beauty to the lives of people who need beauty the most.

I'll monitor this thread for a week or so, and I'll be sure to pass on everything to the family.

Thanks for reading. He was my friend, and I miss him terribly.

Peace,

Paul

2. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Rest In Peace Kevin...thanks Paul for the post.

3. Big B.

Big B.

I only knew Kevin from the buildoff threads but I was struck by his enthusiasm and positivity. Condolences to his friends and family.

4. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

Wow. My condolences to you Paul, and to Kevin's family. As a participant in that buildoff, I remember his build well, and his plight. He did some really innovative stuff in that thread.

I had just moved to a new state when that contest started, and didn't know anyone here. But through the encouragement and daily interactions that we had in the buildoff, I felt like our little corner of the internet was more my 'community' than the one I had just moved to. Really sad to hear about Kevin. Again, my sincere condolences to you and his family.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Thanks for the update Paul. I followed Kev's build during the competition, and loved every bit of it. I thought his design was elegant, and the execution masterful.

I've seen too many of these RIP posts in the last few years. The injustice of it gnaws at me. Guys like Kevin deserve better.

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I remember watching that thread, and learning a few things along the way.

Rip Kev2007.

8. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    A talented builder, and, seemingly, a nice guy as well.

RIP

9. Showdown

Showdown

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Really sad to hear. Kev and I spoke a number of times before and during the buildoff. It was very cool to watch his build.

My prayers are with Kevs family and friends. This is horribly sad news.

RIP Kevin

11. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I never knew him, but it's a touching story. I've been putting off donating blood, but I will schedule an appointment in his honor. Your other idea was also really good, and certainly worth looking into.

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

So sorry to hear this news my heart goes out to the family.

14. MPU

MPU

Sad news. RIP Kev.
    Donating blood has been in my life for as long as I've been old enough to donate. I was given blood at birth and I like the thought that I can help someone who needs help.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

How very sad. He inspired many people, myself included, with both his build and his marvelous attitude. He will be missed.

16. jumbo_steelie

jumbo_steelie

This is a real bummer...so sorry to hear this...

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

18. ibateur

ibateur

Rest in Peace and condolences to you and all the family and friends.

You wrote a really nice post there.

19. reverendrally

reverendrally

20. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I never knew him but RIP brother, things will be better in the other side

21. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind

I only knew Kevin though his thread and I greatly enjoyed following it. He came across as a very creative person, capable of thinking out of the box which to me is a quality this world desperately needs. I bow to him. And I am very sad.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Maurizio