RIP "Marsha" 410 - how to kill SVT speakers in 30 minutes

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by christw, Dec 24, 2013.

1. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    A couple of shows back I brought a knife in a gunfight. Everything was running in the red and the overall volume was way too high. I was well into overdrive from the start. I soldiered on through the first set as my volume fizzled out. I thought it lost an output tube. I had time today to look into things and the amp survived. Unfortunately the old CTS/SVT drivers couldn't take the beatings I've bestowed upon them with the VT-22. Bummer. :(

I'll probably reload it with Beta 10a and call it a day when funds make themselves available. On a related note, anyone want some blown '69/'74 SVT speakers?

Oh yeah, a lesson in all this-respect the limits of your gear, or else! I killed some nice speakers because I showed up unprepared with an IDGAF attitude.

2. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Good god man!! Were you trying to power Yankee Stadium without a PA? How loud do you need to be?

Sorry to hear about your cab.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Man sorry to hear about that I don't know what else you could have done besides stop playing? you are a true professional sir and that's a plus another plus is it wasn't some borrowed gear. I would keep the speakers as reminders Marsha would have wanted it that way.

4. NWB

NWB

Can they be re-coned?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    It happens sometimes! The place was at an average sized bar. Our guitarist brought his PA tops and ran his own amps far too loudly. We needed to be about half as loud as we were.

Thanks... and good point. I've got enough project junk in the house as is so the speakers won't be here too long. :bag:

I'd assume. I'll double check their impedance but I think I fried the coils.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Recone. I wouldn't even have to think about it. The only speakers I've heard that sound as good as those old CTS 10"s are the ones in the Heritage 810e, and I don't think you can buy them separately.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sounds like a band meeting re: volume is needed.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

My goodness, THIS!

10. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    We had one. It was an off night and the fact my cab gave up after the first 30 minutes really struck my bandmates. My drummer and singer were with me but our guitarist was too loud that time-an issue we've since addressed.

I might recone depending on price.

11. Cirk

Cirk

Having the guitar player who forced the issue pay for at least part of the recone may help drive the point home about volume issues.