1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

RIP Phil Everly

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sharkbait130, Jan 4, 2014.

1. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

We lost a true pioneer to rock & roll today. I have been fortunate enough to have been around for the entire career of the Everly Brothers. Their influence in music has been incredible. They were the inspiration for several of the most famous and popular bands in rock&roll. The Beatles , the Hollies , Simon and Garfunkel and The Eagles to name a few. Another lost pioneer , Buddy Holly was also influenced by them. Their songs have been covered by numerous famous artists and I don't think there was a cover band anywhere during the 60's and 70's that didn't cover some tunes from them. They were one of the first to put complex harmonies (both vocal and guitar) into their music. Anyone that picks up a guitar owes at least a little to them. A true giant of our music has been silenced.

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    We should all put at least one EB tune in our set tonight in his memory...I know my trio will. RIP, and much respect.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Ah man, that sucks. The Everly Brothers were fantastic. Harmonies from heaven. RIP, Phil...

4. Richland123

Richland123

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

My sister and I sung "Bye Bye Love" at my wedding, karaoke style. Neither one of us knew the verses, and we fumbled through the best we could.

We had never sung together before, and never have again.

She is not a singer.

But we did OK.

She does play a mean piano, though.