1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

RIP Trevor Bolder

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 21, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  2. Bob C

Bob C

How sad. 62 years old. I had no idea what he had been up to, but his name often gets mentioned when there is a Bowie thread on TB. I saw him with Uriah Heep back in about 1976.
  3. Dellers

Dellers

Is it just me or does the average American musician die really early? Sure thing, you do have BB King who's getting pretty old now, but except for him the majority seem to die at least 10-20 years too early. Too much drugs in general perhaps (yes, I know this particular musician died of cancer)?
  4. edbass

edbass

Truly a sad day indeed...
    One of my major influences, an absolute "bass bad*ss".
    To this day I regularly use many of Trevor's licks when I "freestyle" live or in rehearsal, licks that had me awestruck when I first heard him live with Bowie.

When I was a young, promising bass player/singer I was fortunate enough to see the Spiders from Mars both nights they played at the Santa Monica Civic, must have been late '72 or '73. Absolutely spellbinding.
    Great songs, great band, great bass player; what a loss...
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And he's not American. UK.
  6. bassinplace

bassinplace

I started a thread in misc. (sorry wrong spot, should've put it here). That's ok though, this man deserves two threads at least, I'm sad I'm not seeing more love in either one of them. The man was truly a great bassist if nothing else (admittedly I don't know much about him outside of his work with Bowie, but what great work it is!). His lines were just great works of art. As someone else mentioned here, total badass.

I transcribed Aladdin Sane (the song) and the first minute and a half of that is just some super inventive and creative original playing. The rest of the song shows how he could put his ego in check and just serve the song as he played basically a two note ostinato modulating up and down a whole step for the next four minutes supporting the piano solo that goes way out. Truly one of the unsung greats. RIP, Trevor.
  7. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

8. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

When I first started playing, I'd listen to his guitar battle with Mick Ronson during "The Width of a Circle" in the Ziggy Stardust movie, and dream about the day when I could do something like that myself. RIP
  9. oldprussians

oldprussians

Disclosures:
    IT Professional!
    Sadly I'm getting to the age where Guys I admired, and Gals I fancied in my youth are getting to dying age..... And I am now on the other side of the mountain going down hill and not up.
  10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    RIP, Trevor! He was very important to me as a young player, his lines on Bowie's records were really educational for me.
  11. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

That sucks. I love Uriah Heep.
  12. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Trevor was, is and always will be my favourite bass player. Saw him live many, many times with Uriah Heep and I was always impressed by his skills. He could play the sickest lines and still serve the song completely. He was also the best idol a fan could have, always making time for chats and pictures.

Damn, this is terrible news ...
  13. Meddle

Meddle

RIP. Sad to hear. One of the relatively rare '70s bassists to make full use of a Gibson EB-3's potential. Love his playing, especially on the Bowie live at Santa Monica bootleg. Solid player though Bowie kept him on a lower wage bracket for some weird reason.
  14. JimK

JimK

Man. Read Ken Scott's book (Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust) a few months back...that got me into re-visiting Bowie & his Spider From Mars band. I always liked that period for Bowie...because of "the band". For whatever reason, Bowie kinda pulled the rug out from those guys.
    RIP, Mr. Bolden.

I'm also on the other side...hopefully, going up...not down.
    :)
  15. rtslinger

rtslinger

I was so bummed when I got the alert on this one last night early Bowie stuff with the Spiders from Mars was my favorite. RIP Trevor thankful your bass lines will live on in us all.

one of my favorites not well know by many non fans Trevor kicking butt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRT7PbzBrCM&feature=player_detailpage

The width of a circle Live! enjoy
  16. oldprussians

oldprussians

Disclosures:
    IT Professional!
    Please please please before posting in English check the connotations of all variants of English. Especially ENGLISH English! :rollno:
  17. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Uriah Heep managed to attract some great talent in the bass chair--Bolder, John Wetton, Gary Thain. Has any other band had three great bassists with extended tenures?
  18. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

R.I.P. Trev. Great English Bass player.

Unfortunately the rock musicians who came to prominence in the late 60s thru to mid 70s often succumbed to the overindulgences of that era.

Although direct link cannot be established, the connection between early death and drug use is pretty undeniable.

"Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse." James Dean :bassist::bassist::bassist:
  19. taurus1

taurus1

it's called "slang", he did nothing wrong here
  20. oldprussians

oldprussians

Disclosures:
    IT Professional!

It's not about doing anything "wrong".

Slang or variants, then end is the same!

I just think, and I do work in a international setting, to use more transparent English! :)

I mean I really try to avoid buying a packet of fags on American based forums! Which is quite an easy feat as I am not a smoker, but you get my meaning!

The weirdest is the Indian English use of the word "revert"