1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ripped Off by a TB'er on a Bass Purchase

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by silvertone, Jan 24, 2014.

1. silvertone

silvertone

I recently purchased a used Modulus Q5 from a TB'er who completely scammed me.

I am loath to troll or diss peeps but I feel robbed by this guy.

I am very dissapointed as I was screwed out of a lot of money.

Upon receipt (following a cross country shipment), the electronics in this bass had some problems but my luthier was able to fix them.

The foundational dilemma is that when I unpacked the bass, the normally nice glossy neck of the Modulus was grey and had no luster. The headstock where the emblem is has a huge gash in it. These issues were known to me so it's my bad for impulsively purchasing this bass.

My Luthier (a former Senior Luthier with Modulus) did triage and a forensic investigation onm this bass and in his assessment, the neck was ruined before shipping and the luster-less - faded neck finish and the wound on the face plate suggest to him that either the previous owner (or whomever he was scammed by) attempted to reset the neck by applying a heat lamp and some sort of torniquet to attempt to repair the releif issue.

I should have smelled a rat and bailed when he refused me a 48 hour evaluation to approve or return it at my cost, so it's clear to me he intended to deceive me.

It's my bad and I'm forced to eat this rip-off by a TB. But buyers: BE AWARE that scammers exist on this site.

The seller deserves to be shamed and ridiculed. But for now I won't name and shame him. it's possible he's not part of thjis community and just came here to off a stolen instrument or that he bought this pig in a poke and tried to cut his losses.

I am really writing to suggest that honest people selling a bass on TB should provide a fair, 48 hour evaluation period for the purchaser to assess the instrument.

-Robbed & Pissed Off in San Francsico
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Did you purchase with paypal? If the instrument is not as described, then you have a case to get a refund.
  3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

That's a bummer, dude.
  4. Hues

Hues

How long has the seller been a TB member?
  5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I find it suspicious that you'd start a thread like this and not name the offending party.
  6. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

And now that you have publicly confessed this, your odds of getting a refund are pretty slim.

I agree TB'ers should be offering a return if not satisfied. It's ethically correct. But there is no way to enforce that, and some sellers have (rightfully) had their fill of "tire kickers," so I'm not sure what to say there.

If you knew the neck was not 100%, and now you and your tech are speculating on the cause, I'm not sure that's a legit reason to expect a return option. You seem to be operating under the assumption the seller knew the cause of the neck problem, and you seem to be insinuating (without proof) he may have even caused it.

Well, he told you about the neck problem, and you can't prove he caused it.

You may want to think this through a bit.
  8. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

I hate to play the devils advocate, but you shot yourself in the foot when you said
    'These issues were known to me so it's my bad for impulsively purchasing this bass'

With this being the case in what way is the seller a scammer?
  9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    A 48 hour review period? :eyebrow:
    You have any idea how many people would have GAS for a bass only to find its not the "be all, end all bass of their dreams" and wanna make up some problem to give them a buyers remorse "out" of the deal? If I ever sell something and there is a problem with the item I would very promptly address it, but then I try to VERY clearly describe everything possible about what I sell so that buyers often say my items are "better than described"... still, no way I'm providing a 48 hour free rental. Uh-uh. No way.
    Now, all that is totally different from finding undisclosed problems with an instrument. If that is the case its a sellers burden to address. If it was disclosed, thats a buyers burden to bear.
  10. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Lets not throw the suspicious card out yet but I do agree that the OP should DEFINITELY name the ripoff artist so no other tb members get scammed by this clown or at least he can retort with his side of the story(if there is a legitimate one).
  11. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Is the bass defective or the issues are merely cosmetics? The OP mentioned some issues with the electronics so you were aware of it as well as the dings, any other problem with the bass that was not mentioned?
  12. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

If thats the guy you got it from I find it funny that on his profile it says,

G.A.S. List:
    modulus q5

I am guessing he bought the bass , got it checked out and was told it was messed up. Rather then loose money he threw the deal onto someone else.
  13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

^ Noticed that too, in the words of Jim James, "highly suspicious..."
  14. therhodeo

therhodeo

Especially given the cost of shipping. I've done a ton of deals on other forums (6 string related) and the stuff people freak out over is ridiculous. I've had people gripe because the box a pedal came in was unmarked and they wanted the original. Well it was the original and the builder just shipped in white boxes.
  15. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

I just read what I beleive is the sellers post and it seems to me that he was pretty up front about the condition of the bass. I have no skin in the game but to blast someone as a scammer is pretty damaging.
  16. M0ses

M0ses

Sorry, I'm not seeing where the seller went wrong.

You knew the neck had problems before you bought it, and now you're mad that the neck has problems?

Not his fault you bought irresponsibly.
  17. silvertone

silvertone

The bass is defective.
    it is the Cocobolo Q5.

What I was aware of was that the neck finished was flawed - that is all.
    The bass is not playable and my repairman suggests I either have to find and purchase a NOS non-truss rod neck or he has to modify and frankenstein the current neck by jury rigging a truss rod into it.
  18. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Well, assuming you paid with Paypal you have a recourse. There is also Feedback. If he won't deal with you, or communicate with you, you can leave him Negative feedback. I see yours is still Zero, so it seems he didn't leave you any one way or the other.

I've yet to have a bad experience on TB, other than shipping damage. Asking questions, knowing what you're looking for and being a little picky has resulted in a Great Classifieds Experience!
  19. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Id like to see some pics of the neck because "some wear on the neck" and takin a heat gun to the glue of the neck and using a tourniquet on it seem to be pretty far off entities. ..
  20. silvertone

silvertone

The bass is at my Luthiers.
    I will go over there, take some snaps and post them later.

I was aware that the neck had finish issues - not structural stability issues.

I am once again - capable of swallowing my own foolishness - I'm just warning other buyers to be careful and sellers to be honest.