Ripper build with a twist

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Andii Syckz, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

I've had an idea of building another ripper type bass. This time it looks like a grabber but has two pickups and controls are kinda similar to the ripper. Except for this twist:

Pickups are mudbucker gibson neck pickup and stingray bridge pickup.

I was wondering if i have a master volume, and a preamp (bass and treble like the stingray) plus a three way switch, is there a way i can only hookup the preamp to the ray pickup while both pickups are on? Hence the three way switch will be:

Up position: neck, middle: both, down: bridge pickup.

If it's possible let me know how, if not what other solution can i opt for.

thanks

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

Why don't you want the mudbucker wired through the preamp? It would be far easier.

There will be a large impedance mismatch between the mudbucker output and the output of the preamp. The likely scenario is that the mudbucker output will be essentially inaudible when the outputs are combined in the middle switch position. The preamp output is likely to be around 100 Ohms, while the mudbucker output impedance is going to be on the order of several thousand Ohms.

*typo corrected in italics.

3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I thought it was going to have a twisted neck on it.

lowsound

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I to thought this thread had to do with a twisted ripper neck.

OP, if you're not completely sold on an active pre, there are passive tone circuits which can be easily built which will both compliment the MM pickup and solve the impedence issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=g a...TCiYC4Bg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=568&bih=208#i=33

I haven't personally tried this yet but it seems from what I've read to emulate an L2k passive mode circuitry.

5. Register to disable this ad