1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rival Sons – Very cool new Blues Rock band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Rival Sons – Very cool new Blues Rock band

2. Shanenahs

Shanenahs

Hey Richland,

I've been a huge fan of theirs for a few months now. Every member brings a different flavor to the table. Oddly enough, it tastes like a mixture of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles and Humble Pie. IMO, they're one of the best bands to surface over the last decade. If you like them, I would recommend "Gruhak", "Gary Clark Jr.", and "Paul Weller".

-Shane

3. CauliColin

CauliColin

Saw them last year when they were supporting Judas Priest. Been hooked on them ever since. They are just plain amazing.

4. alan_hill

alan_hill

I watched all the videos and I don't get it. Why would you listen to this when you could listen to Led Zep, Free or if you wanted a modern take Black Keys.

I love blues rock but this is so derivative and unoriginal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev

I am really digging this stuff, thanks for turning me onto it.

7. NOT

NOT Supporting Member

Great band! I saw 'em open up for Alice Cooper a few years ago.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Banned

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    I've been a fan for a long time. I agree, they're very derivative and bring nothing new to the genre but I don't care, the sh*t sounds good. The singer makes the band.

9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

If you like that, you'll dig this...Vintage Trouble.

I like this trend towards reviving the great sounds of the past.

10. Double E

Wow, that's a sucky attitude...IMHO of course.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I can see Alan's point. They sound good but not really anything original here. However, I would listen to them because I also like Zeppelin, Free, etc. I like the fact that they are kind of a throwback to late 60s/mid 70s rock.

12. kander

kander

And we're all doing completely original stuff in our bands? You could make the argument that Led Zep was just ripping off any of a number of bluesmen (Hooker, Waters, Johnson, etc.). Haters gonna hate ...

I'm glad that I saw these links; good stuff!!!

13. Double E

I don't really see the point at all...it's not like they're covering Led Zeppelin or whoever else you wanna lump them with.

The music is original and even though it harkens back to the sounds and styles of years past, I think it has a freshness to it that is...well...refreshing!

Rather than having your sensibility offended by new music with a familiar twist, why not embrace it for keeping the genre alive?

14. alan_hill

alan_hill

I think the point is I don't hear anything new. I understand that in Rock there is nothing new and everybody borrows from each other etc etc but these guys are facsimiles of other songs/players.
    Can they play - of course and very well.
    Is the song any good.... up for debate. ;)

And I'm not offended I eagerly lap up new music with enthusiasm and can't wait for the new take on something old. Sadly for me this isn't it.

15. alan_hill

alan_hill

Classic passive aggressive response.

Please quantify yourself, why does it suck? It's an opinion not an attitude.

I love music and more to the point I love new music.

Every time I click a link I hope it's going to excite me.

16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I agree.
    Nothing new

17. Joel Graham

Joel Graham Exiting Gracefully

Richland123, appreciate it!! Sounds cool to me!!

Double E: Thanks for the addition of Vintage Trouble too! Both these bands sound cool to me...

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I'm talking more about their style than anything else. Yes they are writing original songs but in terms of style its not anything that we haven't heard before. To me, they sound like they are trying to sound like Zeppelin. As I said, I like what they are doing and would listen to them.

19. Double E

I think (shamefully) I was being aggressive-aggressive. I said your attitude sucked, that's pretty direct. My apologies.

You post put me on the offense, I guess, because I listened to these guys and thought it was good.

What struck me was your position (attitude) that there's no room for this music since we all can just listen to Led Zeppelin or Free. That just seems silly to me. They are being loyal to a genre with new original songs.

I dig that there is a new generation of musicians and listeners that are making and buying this music.

20. alan_hill

alan_hill

We're cool :bassist:

I'm certainly not one of those guys who is ''if it's not as good as Free or Led Zeppelin then why bother''. I wouldn't be able to make music myself.