Road Atlas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was looking to update my road atlas, for my drive up to Minneapolis. I want to plan my route effectively, avoiding toll roads, and having a Plan B in case of surprises.

My last drive, from Fort Wayne to Florida, I brought directions, and black and white maps I printed from Google. I took a really cool route down, but on the way back, I took a wrong turn, and ended up lost in Ohio at 4:00 in the morning.

I don't have GPS, and I don't go online with my phone. I LIKE the old school full-color road atlas, and I think you should have one in your vehicle.

I was told by several people at several stores that "no one uses them anymore." They heard a rant, where I qualified it by saying, "this is not just about your store, but about society in general..."

Finally, I found the REALLY BIG Rand McNally 2014 Travel Atlas of the United States, Canada and Mexico for just under $7.00 at the Truck Stop.

You can't imagine the feeling of happiness I get, having that in my vehicle.
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

My dad always told me to get and keep one. I agree, it's a great idea to keep on in your car. Even if I had an endless tablet or cell phone power supply, I'd still want to use the Rand McNally Atlas.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I use my iPhone for all my driving needs

Maps are so 90's......
  4. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Where I work, our main office is basically a full-serve gas station right off a major highway. I can't remember the last time we sold a map or an atlas, really. But I do have them in my truck, although they are probably outdated.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Haven't had one in years but plan buy one just in case. I have a GPS and it works well. I keep it updated. It does get screwy every now and then but I just drive slower to give it a chance to correct itself. Every now and then it'll think I'm pointing in another direction and have me driving in circles! LOL "Recalculating"!
  7. eukatheude

eukatheude

And that's why they are objectively better.
  8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I was going to suggest going to a truck stop to get one. Also just follow the truckers, they'll know all the best ways to go.

My uncle owns a trucking company, any questions on potential routes and I ask him.
  9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I have used them a good deal in my life. I haven't used one in a few years now. Internet route planning, greater knowledge of the roads, and GPS on my phone have made them pretty much obsolete for my needs.
  10. marko138

marko138

I used to keep a big atlas in my truck. Smartphones and GPS over ruled those.
  11. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

yep, the pilots, loves, petros will be best for atlas's and coffee, nothing like
    truck stop coffee
  12. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

If going old school, I like Thomas maps. Sold with a ring spine and covers a HUGE area for maybe 20 bucks or less. Only thing is if you get to the edge of a page you will have to find the next non sequential page which requires a little flipping through, but no folding at least.

http://stores.thomasmaps.com/
  13. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Google maps is always up to date.

lowsound
  14. elgecko

elgecko

For "city" driving, real time traffic data from a smartphone is indispensable. For the boonies, I use Benchmark Atlases and/or an actual GPS.
  15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

24 west, 39 north, 90/94 to MPLS.

I keep my trusty Rand McNally atlas handy, Guess Im just old fashion that way.
  16. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

The atlas let's you look at the big picture. I just did a 'driveabout' of Louisiana.....left the GPS in the glove box and just went where it felt right. The GPS is cool for getting out of places like Bruges or finding that one address in Toulouse.
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I still use old-school paper maps all the time....screw GPS. I-94 doesn't have tolls, but takes you right through Chicago. Gotta pay tolls to go around it. Then going north into Wisconsin, you can either pay a toll, or take the regular highway and go throigh some towns/stopligjts, but it's not more than 30-40 miles.

My family lives about half way between Minneapolis and Fargo. We went that way coming from Nashville at Christmas. Driving through Chicago on Christmas Day there was virtually no traffic. :)

If you get confused or lost, ask a trucker.
  18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

I'd second this for an old school map book approach. The tow company I ran many many moons ago used them exclusively. They keep them up to date and they are driver friendly to read and route from.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Columbus didn't need a map. Neither did the Vikings.

:D
  20. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

You could argue that the 'map' they used was overhead ;)
  21. elgecko

elgecko

Thomas Guides were the de facto standard in Smell-A before the emergence of GPS units. I remember them well.

The bad part was I'd need 3-4 different Thomas Guides (LA County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County to cover the areas I'd drive to on a regular basis.