Road Bike Saddles

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Mar 13, 2014.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new saddle for my road bike. I'm willing to invest in a solid saddle but I don't really need anything that is super top of the line. Weight, texture, etc aren't really factors for me nor do I really know which I'd possibly prefer. I just know that my current saddle is destroying me and I want something that will be a pleasure to ride. I guess my budget would be like $70 give or take. Finding a saddle you like is similar to that arduous bass tone quest but I just need a solid starting point.

2. elgecko

elgecko

It's actually worse. My junk don't go numb when I have bad tone! :p

Those leather Brooks saddles supposed to be comfy once broken in.

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

4. SnowCal

SnowCal

I recently got a Brooks B17 and I couldn't be happier. This is the classic leather saddle. I heard they can be a little rough while you're breaking them in. That hasn't been my experience. Mine was as comfortable as my old foam Ideale saddle from Day 1 and it's gotten a lot better as the leather has broken in and molded to my unsightly tush (and my tush to it). I'm still a ways from it being fully broken in but I have little but praise. My only complaint is that the saddle is slick and I sometimes find myself moving out of position. That might have something to do with me being overzealous with the leather oils that help with breaking the saddle in.

The Brooks Team Pro is a more aggressive roadie saddle and the B17 Narrow might be your cup of tea if you want your saddle to have the profile of a banana.

The Brooks stuff is a little above your price range ($120) but it's worth it. Read the reviews. Leather, at least once broken in, is gonna provide a much more comfortable ride than any foam saddle.

(Caution on buying used leather anything. Leather breaks to fit your body. If it's already broken to fit somebody else's, it won't adapt as well).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

You're going to get a lot of opinions...that's because everybody is built differently. There are also a lot of variables of fitness, riding style, physique, and position.

Some basics among popular brands:

--Selle Italia saddles tend to have a very rounded nose. Variations on the Flite have been around forever.

--Selle San Marco saddles have a more squared off nose, with a flat top portion. They are my preference. (For comparison, I'm about 5'10", 150#)

--Terry saddles focus on comfort. I used to recommend these a lot when I sold bikes, especially for recreational riders.

--Brooks saddles are super trendy. They look super-trad, they're really heavy, and they take some dedication to break in. Devotees swear by them. I rode one for through the 70s and 80s, so I'll pass now, thanks.

A lot of saddles put emphasis on pressure relief, either with holes, carved out areas, or foam/gel inserts. Again, everyone likes something different.

Finally...When I've found a saddle I like, I buy multiples. These things cycle through styles like shoes. (This makes it easy to find close-out deals...) I recently used my last San Marco Era Ti saddle on a build...I will be bummed when that wears out.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Try. You can test-run saddles through certain shops.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Wow, you are NOT a weight weenie! Does your ass go on frame or is it entirely on the "cot" part?

I run Liberators on both my mountain bikes. They're weighty but my ass likes the width. Veritable Barcaloungers!

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

What kind of riding you do will also have a big impact on what kind of saddle you should get. I like my fizik Arione. Definitely find a good shop with a wide range to test.

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

+1. There are a lot of different brands and saddle styles. You're going to have to find one that works for you personally. For MTB I have found that the split saddles work a lot better for me. Also consider your riding shorts (if you don't use any, then consider getting a pair). They have a lot of additional padding that can help too.

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

I have no idea what a weight weenie is. I googled it. From what I gather it's a person who is concerned with the weight of the components on their bike? The seat is super lightweight, it might look heavy in the photos but it's very light. I think it's all aluminum. Yes, my ass is entirely on the cot portion of the seat. It's extremely comfortable, like sitting on a lawn chair while you're biking. :)

13. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

If you want cool, classic, comfy, timeless, and tested, a Brooks B17 or a Swallow w/ TI rails.

If you want modern, sleek, light [in relative terms], and great design then I'd say the FIZIK Arione.

Although finding the right saddle is very subjective both of these brands/ models have pretty wide spread appeal.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Exactly, a weight weenie is someone who obsseses about the weight of their bike.

The lightest Real Seat clocks in at about 1,700 grams. The FIZIK Arione mentioned in this threads weighs approximately 230 grams.

15. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

+ 1 For Brooks

I have those on my 6 bikes.

Heavy , Ti models are Pricey , but my bum than me every ride.

Check the new Cambium , very nice.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

*shrug* I'm more of a motorcycle guy. I do ride my bicycle to work twice a week though, just for some exercise, 12 miles one way. I'm sure my bicycle is nothing like the ones you all are riding either. This is my bicycle (not actually, but same make and model);

[​IMG]

:D

17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Here is mine, before the Arione went on.

[​IMG]

18. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I like my Brooks B67.

[​IMG]

19. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

+1 on Brooks.

Only thing I hate about them is you can't ride in the rain with them or you can damage the leather. I have a cover that fits tight around my saddles tight, but they don't make them anymore and the Official Brooks covers are really loose fitting.

20. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

Fi'z:k for sure.

its like riding on a stack of 20's cuz thats what it'll take to buy one but your arse will never hurt.

21. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Until a bad injury forced me to give bicycles up (can't lean forward into the handlebars any more), all my road bikes had Brooks saddles. And that's going back into the early '60s. Of course you can ride in the rain with a Brooks; they're English, for crying out loud! I spent 10 years in England, riding almost every day. If you wait for the sun to shine and the birds to sing before you ride there, you won't ride much. ;) We just waxed them, and went on down the road. You do have to take care of them, but if you do, they'll last forever. Trust me, a well broken-in Brooks is the cat's ass. When I sold my last bike (Nishiki Cresta GT), it went without the saddle. I've had that particular Brooks since 1964, and it ain't going anywhere without me! :)